Did they make A bodies with A/C and manual steering?

-

Rocky65

Reaction score
OK, before you beat me up for asking a stupid question, yes I did search all the threads here. I must be missing something... My '72 duster has A/C and PS, I want to go to the manual box but keep the A/C and it's current configuration... but the fan belt goes crank to PS to fan... Is there a factory idler pulley for this? I have seen guys just put a belt on the fan and crank with no adjustment, really don't want to do that... I am sure I can fabricate something but why re-invent the wheel... I know this has been addressed before but I can't find it. Thanks

My guess would be they ran the belt over the alternator on manual steering cars with AC, or the AC pump has an adjustment on it to tighten the belt.

Yes, Chrysler did offer AC and no PS together. They used an idler pulley-bracket. I can't remember what it looks like, but it bolts to the 2 drivers side upper water pump bolts. I have never seen another idler like this one. My brother had a 70 Duster 318 AC with no PS. My old Goodyear belt application book list a 13371 belt for this setup. This book shows that they offered this idler from 70 to 76 A Bodies. So any parts manual should give you the part number. Which I'm sure is not available anymore. My brothers is the only on I've ever seen. I have a correct Mopar belt if you find one, PM me if you do. GOOD LUCK in finding one.

OK so I'm not crazy, I think that one will be impossible to find though. Thanks for the help guys.

My Barracuda is a factory AC manual steering car. The factory used a single belt set up for the AC.

Bill, that's what I thought, thanks for confirming it! If you get a chance send me a pic if you could! Sorry for the delay in my reply, been away from the computer for a while. Nice Cuda!

1969 and earlier used a completely different pulley and bracket system than the 1970 and up! Parts from one are not interchangeable with the other. It all depends on which water pump you are using.

-
Back