dies at idle

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
Been a member here for a long time and respect every ones vast knowledge please don't give me hell but having trouble with a 71 C10 build -- stock 350 with edelbrock carb = TPS HEI distributor and coil - relocated tank to rear 3/8 fuel line having problem at idle don't have a tach on it going by trained ear guessing it will idle all day long at around 1300 or 1400 try get it slower it will run fine for a couple of minutes then pops through the carb and dies starts back up fine have the timing set the best I can at around 10 degree tried different carb same result - checked and double checked for vacuum leaks none found even blocked everything off - tank venting is not a problem - thought the stock fuel pump wasn't able to pull fuel that far put electric pump by tank same problem - pressure regulator tried different settings plenty of fuel in see through filter everything is new except the carb but it's proven removed from another car which worked fine this thing is driving me crazy pretty well eliminated possible fuel problems -- could it possibly be ignition hard to believe it would be only doing it at lower rpm the pop before it dies is the only reason I'm thinking ignition

Just so you know you aren't being ignored, I'm reviewing your post and will post if I think of something solid, not throwing parts at it. There are far more knowledgeable folks on this forum and I think they'll stop by soon.

Have you driven the vehicle, yet?
Does it accelerate o.k.?
Have you physically verified the ignition timing with a TDC tool?

Have not driven need to get figured out first -- accelerates fine in gear on jack stands -- yes TDC verified -- FYI I've done several Mopars first time with a bow tie bought inexpensive TPS distributor thinking that may be the problem but I've used these before in Mopars with no problems unless the rpm's are up it will pop and die when put in gear due to rpm drop

Have not driven need to get figured out first -- accelerates fine in gear on jack stands -- yes TDC verified -- FYI I've done several Mopars first time with a bow tie bought inexpensive TPS distributor thinking that may be the problem but I've used these before in Mopars with no problems unless the rpm's are up it will pop and die when put in gear due to rpm drop

Use a volt meter and watch the ignition voltage to the distributor as it dies down before it quits.
(Maybe?)

-
Back