DIESEL dart :)

-

0lddart

Reaction score
ok so i know some people are going to be mad cause it is sacralidge and some are goint to be mad cause im broke so this isnt going to be one of those great overnight builds but it is slowly happening i and saving to buy the 4BT or a 4BD1T and a TH400 (i know its chevy but it bolts up to the motor and was built to handle it)

currently i have the intercooler and the idea and that is about it

things that are going to need to be done

*build custom front suspension and k frame(not looking forward to this part)
*widen trans tunnel for th400
*find either a 8 3/4 or ford 9inch that is the correct width for this car
*mini tub the rear for 8-10 inch tires
* find a radiator shop to build 4 core radiator
*raise the hood "buldge" 2 inches for clearence

things i need some help deciding
front suspension stock torsion set up or coil sprung???
how to build center link for frame(X beam, H with drive shaft loop or just a straight bar set up)???
rear suspension???
gear ration (i am thinking a 3.06 remember this motor goes to 3500rpm and i plan many highway miles)
and what else may need to be done for the car to reliably deal with 500-600ftlbs of torque

if anyone one has anything to chip in please do

thank you
travis

One thought would be you should look into the smaller but equally powerful mitsubishi diesel that is commonly found in brazil. nice motor and compact. Or the VW diesel from the TDI jettas. Again a nice motor that should tuck in nicely with few modifications

One thought would be you should look into the smaller but equally powerful mitsubishi diesel that is commonly found in brazil. nice motor and compact. Or the VW diesel from the TDI jettas. Again a nice motor that should tuck in nicely with few modifications

VW tdi is truly junk in the US the euro ones were great ,trust me on this on i was a VW tech for 4 years :( .main reason i want the 4bt is availibility, i dont want to have to wait for months to get parts in. also the S4KT mitsu is a larger and heavier motor with 80hp and 190ftlbs of torque.... if you are talking about a differant motor please inform me id be interest to atleast check it out as an option

this will be sweet:) lots of **** please lol. what is that motor outta? i am not a diesel guy lol. just think their performance is really cool:) good luck

a 4bt mostly came in bread trucks its a 4cyl version of a 12v cummins
the 4bd1t is the isuzu motor in the cabover trucks i am still saveing for my motor(used most go for 800-1000 bucks) and i will get a camera for said car **** :)

I have thought many times of building a 4BT Ramcharger. they get great mileage, bulletproof, and would be great in a half-ton. How come you just don't use an NV transmission? I thought they had the same bolt pattern as the 6 and the extra gears would be great on the freeway. rpm's with a good sized tire and rear gear would be quite a bit lower. also as far as the radiator you might want to look into one out of a diesel forklift like a linde baker. they are usually pretty narrow and are plenty thick, plus they can be found for alot cheaper than having a custom one made. if i remember right they weigh about the same as a small block so really the mods would be to handle the torque twist. I would do some downtubes from the firewall to the front rails, good thick frame connectors, a crossmember over the driveshaft and as far back to the front spring hangars as possible. maybe a simple 4 point cage just to attach the door bars close to the firewall to tie it all in.

I soooo wish I was close enough to help!!!

god i wish it wieghed close to a small block..... 4bt wieghs in at almost 750lbs
and great idea on the radiator i will check around at the industrial salvage place and see what they have

The early dodge trucks with Cummins ran 3.08 ratio with the 727 with 16 inch tires , I was going to build a B body with 2.4 ratio rear and 727 with the Cummins 4b , I know where 2 cummins 727 are.

i agree,
sounds like your building a parts car....
no offense... just my opinion

thanks......
trust me im not even tearing the car apart till I have all the needed parts here/fabricated i know this is ambitious but i bet the same thing was said the first time someone swapped a 360 into a colt so i know there has to be a way to do it.....
--------------------------------------------------------
got some actual measurements on the engine tonight thanks to my other toy (i have a 67 bronco) had a guy see mine and he had one that he swapped a 4bt into so i had him bring it by my work
came out to 35.5 inches tall from pan to top of valve covers 24 inches wide and 31 inches long..... so scrap the raising the hood buldge idea it seems i will have to have the motor stick out the hood a bit 8) but it seems that it should fit every other way pretty easily turbo mounting is going to be tight but doable

the thing that scared me was he had a NV4500 which was mentioned by someone earlier and that thing is fricken HUGE i wouldnt have a tunnel anymore...... so im definatly going auto it is actually smaller i think. also he said he was breaking rear axles (a infamous for 9") with 400ftlbs and 33" tires so i may just have to bite the bullet and get something more HD

good news though i got to go for a ride in it and it was actually really nice, short rpm range(idles at 1000rpm and is redlined at 3200) but it was VERY potent he was running 3.23 gears and it scooted but it topped out fairly quickly so i may have to go with a 2.93 or so gear ratio. the other thing i liked is he told me there is a company working on a P pump for the 4bt=P~

-
Back