diesel exhaust review

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys, my plow truck needs a new exhaust

im kinda leaning towards a MBRP but not sure if i should get the 4 inch with muffler or 5 inch straight pipe

i dont want to be "that guy", specially since most of my plowing is done at times when normal people are asleep

i think there has been some work done to the engine, something deleted, i dont know

so, what would make sence, for a cat back exhaust ?

I've had 2 mbrp stainless kits on all my Cummins trucks. I ordered my first one straight no muffler, that lasted about a week and I welded a muffler in. The low hum at 1500 rpms will drive you insane. I would definitely put a muffler on it. The neighbors will thank you... My truck had 300k on it and the exhaust was the only thing that wasn't rotted threw..

I've had 2 mbrp stainless kits on all my Cummins trucks. I ordered my first one straight no muffler, that lasted about a week and I welded a muffler in. The low hum at 1500 rpms will drive you insane. I would definitely put a muffler on it. The neighbors will thank you... My truck had 300k on it and the exhaust was the only thing that wasn't rotted threw..
Thanks

I figured 4 inches is probably plenty for such a small engine (its only a 6.0 liter) specialy since diesels run at such low RPM

The only thing that made me wonder was the price, it made very little difference between the 4 and 5 inch

I had a duramax without a muffler for a while. I thought it was cool and didn't mind it. Then I just couldn't handle the drone anymore. I usto just turn up my music but their were times when I just wanted to think. Do yourself a favor and get a muffler.

5 inch if your over 600hp, 4 inch up to 600hp. No reason to go bigger if it’s not making a shot ton of power. Also a muffler is nice, keeps the droning down to almost non existent, MBRP is really good, had that on my 99’ CTD, can’t go wrong.

5 inch if your over 600hp, 4 inch up to 600hp. No reason to go bigger if it’s not making a shot ton of power. Also a muffler is nice, keeps the droning down to almost non existent, MBRP is really good, had that on my 99’ CTD, can’t go wrong.

thanks, considering it only made barely half that stock, i doubt there is any point in going past 4 inch

Check out Farm Boys Diesel brand of exhaust. If their economy muffler does not reduce the noise enough you could install a Donaldson muffler later. I have their 5" with their muffler and it is not noticeable on the highway but very noticeable at idle close by, so I'd suggest a 4" for your use.

IMO, if it solely a plow truck, the cheapest exhaust you can find is fine. For the amount my plow truck runs it would be lucky to get the exhaust replaced! But my neighbours are at a little distance.

5 inch is a plenty for a big cam 400 cummins at 855 ci and 2500 rpms!! 8v71 318 detroits turn 3000rpm with 4 inch and thay 2stroke with a 871 blower feeding them, the 435s got a turbo feeding the blower!!! im sure 4 inch will handle all you can throw at it! id go with a muffle less ya want neighbors throwing snow balls at you!

IMO, if it solely a plow truck, the cheapest exhaust you can find is fine. For the amount my plow truck runs it would be lucky to get the exhaust replaced! But my neighbours are at a little distance.

One of the reasons I opted for a plow truck, instead of a Kubota, or a qaud, is because it allows me to have an extra vehicle around (and the cost was about the same)

Just two weeks ago a friend of mine had a wedding and a bunch of people from out of state flew in for it, so we lend out the charger for a week or so and moved the plow truck up to daily

Then earlier this year a friend of the wife's moved out into a different house...she must taken that truck about a dozen times to move stuff around.

Then a little while ago, my brother in law...
Well, you get the idea, I like to get her up and running throughout the year so I do want her to be presentable and dependable

But, your right, I probably put more miles on the duster then the plow truck

-
Back