Diesel Question

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
Im doing a research paper in class that has to be about comparing Diesel engines to Gasoline engines, more specifically performance wise. Im having some trouble finding information comparing the two. Can anyone point me in a direction for a good website with some info or anyone know anything off the top of their head. I dont know a whole lot about diesel engines other than basic theory behind as to how they work.

Can you be a little more specific....."performance wise"

The basics on the modern diesel motor, with high compression, and boost, have turned an engine that was intended for low RPM and torque, into a performance engine. The drawbacks here is that the components needed to handle the substantial torque, (corresponding HP) are very heavy and large. By default, the RPM capability is limited.

What else are you looking for? I do recall one of the diesel magazines taking similar 1994-1997 F250, and adding HP to both, gas and diesel. Their limits were budget based, and the diesel responsed with more "performance" then the gas for the money. However, performance is different for everyone, do you like seat pinning torque, or high RPM pull?

The main reason we have "performance" diesel engines these days can be answered in one word: BOOST. I have been working on diesel engines for 30 years, and before the current crop of overboosted and overfueled diesels, diesels were not considered performance engines at all. So to make one run, they need plenty of boost and corresponding fuel to go with it.

Can you be a little more specific....."performance wise"

really just anything in general, related to diesel performance so that I have something to compare it to, any extra benefits, or dissadvangtes.

The basics on the modern diesel motor, with high compression, and boost, have turned an engine that was intended for low RPM and torque, into a performance engine. The drawbacks here is that the components needed to handle the substantial torque, (corresponding HP) are very heavy and large. By default, the RPM capability is limited.

What else are you looking for? I do recall one of the diesel magazines taking similar 1994-1997 F250, and adding HP to both, gas and diesel. Their limits were budget based, and the diesel responsed with more "performance" then the gas for the money. However, performance is different for everyone, do you like seat pinning torque, or high RPM pull?

thanks, this is the kind of stuff I am looking for. Ive been amazed after seeing a few full size dodge 5.9 cummins diesles at the drag strip run some impressive times. The acual mass of the internals are what acually limit RPM capability?

The main reason we have "performance" diesel engines these days can be answered in one word: BOOST. I have been working on diesel engines for 30 years, and before the current crop of overboosted and overfueled diesels, diesels were not considered performance engines at all. So to make one run, they need plenty of boost and corresponding fuel to go with it.

I see, kind of seems like diesels respond pretty well to boost with still keeping durabilty though right? Seems like theres still alot of 2-300k mile pickups with turbodiesles still on the origional engine

I drive a 5.9 2003 Ram 2 wheel drive with a Quadzilla Module--Cold air intake--and a 5 inch Exhaust---those three adds gave me 150HP and a GOB of torque. I can pull my 5th wheel at 90MPH if I want--I don't want though. There is a 2006 Duramax Chevy 4wd that turns 119MPH in 11. at the drags here in Boise--Basically stock with twin turbos and a reprom computor--impressed the hell out of me. Has to run in 4wd or it smokes the tires all the way through the quarter. Still smokes all 4.

-
Back