Difference between 64' & 65' soft tops

-

GT 64

Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between the 64' and 65' Dart soft tops? When I bought the 64' Dart the seller had removed the soft top and told me a new top and window was included in the trunk. When I finally got ready to have the top done, I found the box said for a 65'- 66' Dart. The top came from Year One so I e-mailed them asked what the difference was, and all they said was "they're not the same". I checked on Robbins and Ez Ons sites and they list them as different but on Convertible Guys site, they show the 64' and 65' as the same. Does anyone know exactly what the difference is and if the 65' can be made to fit the 64'? Don't really want to buy another top if it can be made to fit. The car is going to be a driver not a show car so a slight difference I can put up with.

I don't know the diffrence I had used the complete top, frame well and all from my 66 dart on my 64 dart it went right on and fit like a glove ????

I have a 64 top on my 65 no problems... If there is a difference it is unknown to me. If no one will return your top just go with it

Does anyone know the difference between the 64' and 65' Dart soft tops? When I bought the 64' Dart the seller had removed the soft top and told me a new top and window was included in the trunk. When I finally got ready to have the top done, I found the box said for a 65'- 66' Dart. The top came from Year One so I e-mailed them asked what the difference was, and all they said was "they're not the same". I checked on Robbins and Ez Ons sites and they list them as different but on Convertible Guys site, they show the 64' and 65' as the same. Does anyone know exactly what the difference is and if the 65' can be made to fit the 64'? Don't really want to buy another top if it can be made to fit. The car is going to be a driver not a show car so a slight difference I can put up with.

the only difference that I have been asked when I replaced the tops on my 64,65 (darts) was if it was a 24 inch rear roof bow or a 26. that was by elite tops and ez-on. All the others did not ask questions about rear roof bow height. I do know that a 64 dart top frame will fit on a 65 and 66 dart with no alterations. so it has to be something in the rear dutchmans panel that makes a difference , the doors interchange or are the same (minus different trim levels and 65 has those port thingy's in the door), rear quarter glass looks the same. I have a valiant rear quarter window in the drivers side and dart in the passengers side of mine, side panels that cover the lift mechanism the same and well liner is the same for 63-66 . I'd temp mock that top into place and see if the top itself will fit and then test fit the curtain/rear window. that's where there might be a difference. but you can always order a new window a lot cheaper than a new top.

oh yeah I forgot the (I think) 63-64 or 65-66 . 1 way or the other had pinpoint vinyl and the other models went with a different type of top cover material. crush something or other. if your going for 100% restoration it makes a difference but just a show/driver then either will work.

Thanks for the info. I called EZ On tops and talked to an old gearhead at the factory (Randy) and he was very helpful. He sent me drawings of the 63-64 top and the 65-66 top with measurements. According to the drawings the 64 top is 1 1/4" longer from the staple line at the rear bow to the front edge of the top- 60" vs 58 3/4". Also the measurement along the rear sail panel from the rear bow to the lower rear section of the back window is 1 1/2" longer-22" vs 20 1/2". It's slightly wider too. So it seems the 64 top is slightly larger which may be why the 65 would fit the 64. Guess I'll have to sell the 65 top ( top and rear window from Yearone, made by Kee- $150- half price) and go with the right year. If anybody's interested, let me know.

Thanks for the info. I called EZ On tops and talked to an old gearhead at the factory (Randy) and he was very helpful. He sent me drawings of the 63-64 top and the 65-66 top with measurements. According to the drawings the 64 top is 1 1/4" longer from the staple line at the rear bow to the front edge of the top- 60" vs 58 3/4". Also the measurement along the rear sail panel from the rear bow to the lower rear section of the back window is 1 1/2" longer-22" vs 20 1/2". It's slightly wider too. So it seems the 64 top is slightly larger which may be why the 65 would fit the 64. Guess I'll have to sell the 65 top ( top and rear window from Yearone, made by Kee- $150- half price) and go with the right year. If anybody's interested, let me know.
Ahh so that was the reason he asked me about the bow height. 24.5 vs 26 bow height. I have the 26 bow height and the wife's dart has the 24.5 BOTH are 66's weird. looks like someone may have fixed some bows in it's lifetime on hers.

-
Back