difference between 73' and 72' suspension PST

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
hello.
So to make this story short, I have a 73 dart that I just rebuild the suspension on. Originally I ordered a kit for my 71 dart (totalled it before i could isntall it). PST was nice enough to exchange the incompatible pieces 10 years later (time that passed before getting the 73 dart).

That is all good. 73 suspension just got finished 2 weeks ago.

HOWEVER!!! HA
last week I aquired a hemi 5.7. The 73' has a slant 6 K member...ya. Lame. and the only motor mounts are made for the v8 k frame. NOW MIND YOU. the 71 k frame, i still have. and its not damaged...see where im headding with this?

If i drop the S6 k frame from the 73 dart, and put in the 71 V8 k frame..Do I need to swap out the same parts that PST originally did?

Specs.
73 dart, S6 k frame, Disc brakes in front. Power steering
71 Dart, V8 K frame, Drum front brakes. manual steering (will help with hemi header clearnce)

PST exchanged the Lower Ball Joints, The Idler Arm, and the Upper ball Joints. The rest fits. Kit did not include a pitman arm.

I am thinking that all I should need to replace would be the idler arm, since its connected to the 71 v8 k frame...the LCA bushings and Lower balljoints shouldn't matter, they only had to be be exchanged because of the drum/disc difference..

Is this right?

ps...I am not so keen on making custom motor mounts.

you can use the 72 K frame, all your parts will bolt up fine. The difference is the the ball joints and upper control arms.

IF that is truely the case, I am gonna rip the suspension apart again this weekend, Hell I gotta change the TBs anyway, need beefier for the Hemi as the stock ones are for the S6. Other then that, its simple....ha was a project before, now its cake.

Think I may try to use electrolysis to remove some surface rust on the k member first..been reading up on that, pretty interesting.

The stock sway bar from a 73+ k frame won't work with the 72- k frames. I'm pretty sure the lower control arm tabs are in two different locations for the two different sway bars. It would be easier to just get a 73+ V8 spool mount k frame. Pretty sure a member is selling one on this site now.

And I actually don't have a 73 sway bar, I do however have the PST aftermarket I bought for the 71 dart. other then that i just have strut bars.
Do u know who is selling it?

-
Back