Difference between chrome and orange box?

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the advantages of running a chrome box over the orange box? I was always told that an orange box for the street and chrome for racing only. I read here that people out the chrome box on in place of the orange for street applications. Will there be an improvement if I did so?

About the only one I could get at O Riellys for my W-150 was a chrome one. I have it on my truck and it doesnt act any different than the orange box. My Dart has an original brownish looking box that will be swapped for all MSD too. My D-150 with a big block has the chrome box but I have been having ignition problems. Im swapping it over to MSD as well. Ive drove and tinkered with these old trucks of mine since I could drive and even before when dad still drove them. I would go out on a limb and say you should be fine with either box. Peformance wise, I couldn't tell any difference.

if you have a stock engine there is no reason to get either. the only thing the orange or chrome boxes do is extend the rpm range before the output of the ignition drops off. they will not give you a hotter spark in the normal 1000-5000 rpm driving range.

dave clement
68 barracuda sport coupe

this

About the only one I could get at O Riellys for my W-150 was a chrome one. I have it on my truck and it doesnt act any different than the orange box. My Dart has an original brownish looking box that will be swapped for all MSD too. My D-150 with a big block has the chrome box but I have been having ignition problems. Im swapping it over to MSD as well. Ive drove and tinkered with these old trucks of mine since I could drive and even before when dad still drove them. I would go out on a limb and say you should be fine with either box. Peformance wise, I couldn't tell any difference.

I don't believe that was a Mopar Performance unit. There are lots of knock offs out there.

.............The MP chrome box is not to be confused with all the knock off chrome boxes.........the MP is a multi spark at low rpm for the first 20* of crankshaft rotation.........good to 8 thousand rpm.........requires a very good because of it high saturation time.........not recommended for the street as they dont like continous run time, they over heat in about 30 minutes........they wern't designed for continous duty......kim........

-
Back