difference between MP vs SS 002's/003" springs

-

moparman111

Reaction score
I asked this over on the suspension section with no advice:

Hi everyone. Can you tell me what the difference between Mopar super stock springs (002/003"s) compared to Mopar Performance P4510269/P4510268 springs?

The S/S springs are made to control the movement of the rear, they do not let the rear lock up. The springs let the rear move to help keep traction to both wheels and control the torque being put on the rear axle. Your other spring are the extra heavy duty, designed like the original springs on most car from the factory.

Where are you in WV? I am in Clarksburg.
Unless you are running a drag car only I would not run SS springs.
I would go with the XHD for street use.

SS springs are designed, and optimized for 1/4 mile racing. They have a much stiffer front section, and more arch. They push the tires into the ground more, lifting the back of the car, upon launch. This creates oversteer. On a car that has to turn, the leafs should be close to flat, or at least a line drawn from the front spring eye to the center of the spring pack just under the axle should be level with the ground. The differential moves fore and aft when it moves up and down because the leaf spring moves in an arc. This actually turns the differential into a turn when it is set up properly. With too much arch, the rear could turn out of the turn, causing you to spin out. On our racecar, we set it up with a bit too much arch, which caused it to take turns very fast, like over 100mph, but if the track was slick, or we entered the turn too fast and had to slow down, we had what is called off throttle oversteer. That really sucks. Trust me, you don't want oversteer unless you are autocrossing and can get lots of practice.

Thank you guys for the explanation of differences. My 67 Barracuda is a street car that might see an occasional 1/4 on very rare occasions as new 1/4's and paint and sticky tires with gravel lanes in the pits at Mason Dixon drag way don't mix. The reason I asked is I actually bought a set of MP springs and the guy didn't strap/ziptie/or band them together from Cali to WV so I only received one spring. #269 so I am on the fence to spend another $250 or so on another #268. But being the 002's/003's are not for street use I guess the MP springs will be on it:).

Sireland I am roughly 3hrs East of you in Martinsburg. You know the armpit of WV. If not for the great job I have in Hagerstown MD and my elderly parents living here I would move to Morgantown:)

Not to hijack this thread or anything but what about the Caltracs mono leaf springs for street use? Like "moparman111" I'm looking at a 95% street car and I'm more worried about something that is going to handle in a turn than a straight line.

Charger I rarely eat out as I have a 1yr old at home now but mainly because I am so cheap I squeak when I walk;). Which seafood place do they own? I can only think of one. Seasons Best.

Thank you guys for the explanation of differences. My 67 Barracuda is a street car that might see an occasional 1/4 on very rare occasions as new 1/4's and paint and sticky tires with gravel lanes in the pits at Mason Dixon drag way don't mix. The reason I asked is I actually bought a set of MP springs and the guy didn't strap/ziptie/or band them together from Cali to WV so I only received one spring. #269 so I am on the fence to spend another $250 or so on another #268. But being the 002's/003's are not for street use I guess the MP springs will be on it:).

Sireland I am roughly 3hrs East of you in Martinsburg. You know the armpit of WV. If not for the great job I have in Hagerstown MD and my elderly parents living here I would move to Morgantown:)

Martinsburg, at least there is alot good jobs there.
If you are looking for springs, check out Mancini XHD +1 I have them on my duster and they were like only $300 shipped for a pair, a couple of years ago, they have alot of arch to them.
I actually put in a 1" lowering block until they settle down some.

Thank Sire for the link. With the 1" added to the springs do they give a horrible rake? As for jobs I know M-burg has more than other parts of this great state but most people I know either work in Winchester or Hagerstown/Frederick areas as those jobs pay more. I have been fortunate to work for the same company for almost 17yrs. But there are way to many DC/Balt people transplanting in. This is causing hirer taxes and soon Berkley county will be entirely on city sewer because all of the beautiful orchards and farms have been turned into housing developments. They by .25acre plots and want to tell everyone else how to live!!!!! PLUS THE CRIME RATE HERE IS HORRIBLE! My best friend is from Fairmont and his wife is from Shinnston. She is actually related to Sam Huff! I am a huge WVU fan so season tickets take me to Morgantown 7/8 times every fall. Its Beautiful in the Central/Southern part of the state. I wish more industry would move in to help those hard working, blue collar, Americans:)

Fairmont?
I grew up there graduated in 85.
As for the springs, they are kinda high in the rear so I added a 1" lowering block, for the money you cannot beat them.
If you order new u-bolts with the springs, just get them a little long, and order the blocks from Summit. I plan on removing the blocks after the car gets some miles on it.
Right now I have stock 15 x 7 with 4.25 bs on the rims with 275/60/15 rear tires and they clear with no issues using the lowering blocks.
Sorry to hear about the apple orchards. I guess it comes down to the almighty $$$$.

85 is a little ahead of our time. My friend graduated there in 96. I graduated from Hedgesville in 98. Thanks for the info on the springs. I did run Lakewood traction bars so longer springs will be a must.

lots of guys run ss on the street myself included and my car corner's good the only thing i see is the ride height is higher and stiffer .

I'm running two right side ss springs per Rick ehrenbergs green brick.

Rides right, handles tight. Great street combo if the t bars match.

Forgive me I am new:)
With the Viper red paint it didn't look to bad, LOL

Thanks Sire.
This is what it looked like the last I saw it about 4wks ago. Its currently down in VA at a Mopar restoration shop getting some rust removed and a Stinger hood/scoop added before the new Viper red paint is added. When I get it back a built 440 and 4spd are going in.

-
Back