Difference in valve bodies

-

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a rebuilt valve body for my Dart and the seller is asking me to check the holes and possible slot in the trans case to make sure it's correct.

This style:
$_1.JPG

Or this:
$_3.JPG

I never thought about it before, but different years had different parts.

My transmission (mid to late 70's) is sitting between 2 cars and I won't be able to get to it for a while, is there an easy way to check, and are valve bodies that specific? I put one in my Polara and didn't give that a thought. I'm not worried about it holding up to abuse, it won't be in the car very long before it gets a full rebuild.

Any info you can send my way so I understand what I need to know would be appreciated.

The top picture is an older unit, as it matches the '66& '67 spares I have. The lower is like one I have from '76, but I'm assuming it may be earlier than that as it has no part throttle kickdown valve? The "slot" is open to a void in the case, which in turn is drilled into the 2-3 accumulator. My '73 and '76 cases are made this way, as well as a '92 518 case I have...so I'll venture that the bottom unit is the one you want. I've always wondered, however, why reworked valve bodies (reverse manual, etc) all seem to be advertised as '66-up applications. Maybe it's just not that critical for the way they're valved.
Here's a shot of the '76 case.
20161205_154624.jpg
20161205_154624.jpg

I think you posted the same picture both times?
Yeah, I did. Not quite proficient at this posting thing. Wish I had taken a better shot from the other side, you can just see the hole at the 7 o'clock position in the accumulator bore.

That's a later style. I don't have any empty earlier ones on hand right now.

Hey Scott, did you make it back home alright?
I did sir. Got to my overnight stop just fine and made it home the next day as planned. Was a fun trip, just wish I had more time to stop and check out some of the things along the way.

-
Back