Differences in 904's

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey guys Im gettin' ready to buy the Torque converter for my 360 / 904 combo. Im aware of the wieght situation for the 360. But I was given some specs as to whether I was going after the correct converter. My question is, are all of the 904's the same as far as splines and shaft sizes, and all that stuff?
Im going after a stock converter for the moment so here is the specs I got from the local parts house!

Non lock up, 904, 11" diameter, 27 splines, 1.81" pilot, slotted hub, 4 lug mount, ring gear (122 teeth) 2 rectangular weights, and 9.96" bolt circle.

My set up is a 73' 360 and a 74' 904. :scratch:

I think the main differences in these trannys are: pre 67 or so used a smaller crank pilot hub, 77 and later used the lock up converters in some applications. I think all you need to do is specify the year transmission and the engine and thats it, and of course the stall speed.

Also the pre '67 trans [ the one noted above with the smaller hub ] had a different input shaft. It was smaller with a finer spline. Something to remember if you are ever trying to scrounge up a 904.

It seems that some 67's also had the smaller input shaft. I went through the 904 in my 67 Dart and put a Mopar Performance convertor in it. Put the tranny in and it would not pull out of its tracks. I had air tested all the clutches and bands before putting in the valve body -- so I knew if any pressure was getting to the right places it ought to at least engage. I dropped the valve body to make sure I hadn't done anything stupid with it -- everything was in its place and free.

Pulled it back out -- the TC wa too big for my input splines. :-( Either had an early prodution 67 or a later tranny had been installed sometime in the Dart's past.

Brian

thx for the replies guys!
Well here is what I have done! I bought the B&M flexplate that is balanced so i can get a neutral balanced torque converter. As thats what I ordered as well. I just got a plane jane stocker TC. After all I plan to drive it alot on a daily basis. anyhow thx guys for all input!

-
Back