Different width rims

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I got my rims free from my brother. They are stock steelies. We painted them up and where setting them to the side when we noticed that they are different widths. Good thing they are a matched pair. So I have 2 rims that are stock width and 2 that are about 1-1/2" wider. That kinda sucks for rotation purposes, except side to side.

Ive never had different width rims so Im assuming I should run the wider rims in the back and the narrow in the front? Any other issues I may run into?

Run staggered or find two more of the size you want to make a matched set. How wide are they? Measure from the inside to inside of the bead where the tire mounts. Backspacing may be your only issue.

sorry , but wow.........

how do know if they aren't all "factory" sizes?
what sizes are they ?
are you sure the bolt patterns work? 4" vs 4 1/2"
put the wide ones on the front lol

Assuming we are talking about rims for the car in your avatar pic and it has not been modified it will have the small 5x4" bolt pattern.
Also assuming that the wheels you got from your brother has the right bolt pattern and are stock wheels, they came in two widths.
Standard issue was 4.5" width, while performance and heavy duty vehicles often got the 5.5" wide wheels. These are 1" wider to the outside and will look good on the back of your Dart as they put the will a little more to the outside.
Since the wheels are 1" wider you'd want a tire that is at least 1" wider on the 5.5 rims. Using the same tires on both kind of rims will look strange as they will bulge less on the wider wheels.
I'd go 195/70-14 front on 4.5" rims and 225/70-14 rear on 5.5" rims.
That will give a nice staggered look on a Dart like yours without being over the top.

Wheel width is best measured without tires. Measure from the INSIDE of the lip where the tire mounts across to the inside of the same lip on the other side.

Assuming we are talking about rims for the car in your avatar pic and it has not been modified it will have the small 5x4" bolt pattern.
Also assuming that the wheels you got from your brother has the right bolt pattern and are stock wheels, they came in two widths.
Standard issue was 4.5" width, while performance and heavy duty vehicles often got the 5.5" wide wheels. These are 1" wider to the outside and will look good on the back of your Dart as they put the will a little more to the outside.
Since the wheels are 1" wider you'd want a tire that is at least 1" wider on the 5.5 rims. Using the same tires on both kind of rims will look strange as they will bulge less on the wider wheels.
I'd go 195/70-14 front on 4.5" rims and 225/70-14 rear on 5.5" rims.
That will give a nice staggered look on a Dart like yours without being over the top.

Wheel width is best measured without tires. Measure from the INSIDE of the lip where the tire mounts across to the inside of the same lip on the other side.

Yes the car in my avatar, but it has been converted over to LBP. I believe that when I measured the smaller rims they were 5.5" the others measured 7". They are also 15" wheels.

2 of the wheels have the pentastar so I know those are original. The other 2 do not have that marking but are the correct bolt pattern. Sorry I dont remember the backspacing. So with that being said what were the wheel sizes for the LBP axles?

Yes the car in my avatar, but it has been converted over to LBP. I believe that when I measured the smaller rims they were 5.5" the others measured 7". They are also 15" wheels.

2 of the wheels have the pentastar so I know those are original. The other 2 do not have that marking but are the correct bolt pattern. Sorry I dont remember the backspacing. So with that being said what were the wheel sizes for the LBP axles?

You may have the same issue I do with going LBP. What all did you do to convert? my issues is more confined to 67-69 Darts, but the 73-newer discs push the wheel out to the fender more than the drums or sbp discs. What did you do for a rear?

You may have the same issue I do with going LBP. What all did you do to convert? my issues is more confined to 67-69 Darts, but the 73-newer discs push the wheel out to the fender more than the drums or sbp discs. What did you do for a rear?

I have 73 up LBP discs in the front and the rear are 10" x 2.5" drum. I converted to the correct backing plates and all that in the rear. I put one each of the rims on the front and rear and they fit great and didnt appear to look like they will rub the fenders. Of course no rubber on them and no weight on the car. Just going by looks at this point.

I have 73 up LBP discs in the front and the rear are 10" x 2.5" drum. I converted to the correct backing plates and all that in the rear. I put one each of the rims on the front and rear and they fit great and didnt appear to look like they will rub the fenders. Of course no rubber on them and no weight on the car. Just going by looks at this point.

8-3/4 rear? if you can, measure the offset of the rims, that is the only way you'll know or people can help.

8-3/4 rear? if you can, measure the offset of the rims, that is the only way you'll know or people can help.

Sorry, yes 8.75 rear. I will have to have my brother measure them up, they are 3 hours away from me. I'll get back as soon as I can.

OK, whether its a B-body rear or A-body rear with LBP conversion and 2.5" wide brakes, you're going to need a positive offset rim, front and rear. For example. my car has the LBP 73-up disc and an a-body 8-3/4 rear with 11x2.5 drums. My car needs a 17x7 with 4.75 back spacing for the front and a 17x8 with 5.5" backspacing to fit the rear, centered. Now, as stated the 70-up cars are different, so you'll need to measure, they might be ok for your car. I'm staggering because I don't drive the car much and I like the look.

-
Back