Differential replacement.

-

lhearold

Reaction score
I know this has been covered at least a million times but I'm going to ask anyway. I have a 74 Valiant and it currently has an 8-1/4 rear end. I want to replace it with a stronger unit with sure grip (or posi-track depending on what fits). What is the easiest to find and fit? I've heard Jeep Cherokee and Ford Explorer. Are there others? I want to do this without breaking the bank...

Thanks,

Larry

The 8.25 is pretty stout. I replaced my open 8.25 with a Sure Grip from a Dakota.
Has to be pre '92 I think due to axle splines. Others will know for sure. It will use the Dakota bearing in the sides because the o.d. Is the same but the I.d. Is different.
Mine coat me $110 including new bearings and seals. Local pick and pull.

Last edited:
Positrac. Suregrip. Limited slip......all different names (trade names) for the same thing. A differential that has some form of clutch arrangement to take power away from a slipping or spinning wheel and direct it to the other wheel.

Posi trac is a GM term. Sure grip is a chrysler term.

You want a sure grip, there are factory units that fit (bolt in) to your existing differential. Some mechanical abilty is required.

I'd say you already have a desireable unit under there, just look for a Suregrip unit for it and have it installed if you're not well versed in rear end mechanics! You'll be way ahead of the game, and will have a plenty strong unit!!

-
Back