Difficult cold start

-

MorganKane

Reaction score
I have stock slant 6 (valiant -64) and I Am having hard cold starts.
I have tried different methods, first "don't touch throttle pedal" as manual states, and then pumping pedal few times and then crank. It always needs very long crank. I think it starts best if I keep throttle pressed fully open. Still needs many and long cranks.

Choke works (plate closes and opens when engine warms up). Ignition timing is correct and new spark plugs. Engine runs great and idles well when warm.

Any suggestions? My guess is that old holley 1920, but would it benefit if I put repair kit on it?
It is not really cold now here in Finland, just about +10 degrees (celsius).

Make sure choke is adjusted closed enough. Also, make sure that your accelerator pump is working property and actually dumping gas when you pump the pedal before starting. (Make sure the float bowl has fuel in it anyhow)

If when cold you get the shot of gas in the carb, Make sure you have 12 volts in the crank position on the coil. it'll be less in the run position. You could run a 12volt jumper from battery to positive side of coil to see if that is the problem. If starts right up trouble shoot wiring problem. Don't run too long with jumper because coil will burn up.

Look down the carburetor throat and confirm you get a STRONG squirt of fuel as soon as you move the throttle all the way to wide open and report back please.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.Tune-up parts and technique suggestions are in this post.

I have a 73 Duster with the slant six & looks to be un-modified at all. Sometimes it will sit outside for months without starting it. (it's not road worthy) I just tap the throttle pedal to set the choke, crank it for a split second, crank it again & it always fires right up. Too much fuel on starting (one full pump) & it is hard starting. Try just tapping the gas pedal first to set the choke (confirm that it's working) & see if that works.

-
Back