Difficulty in obtaining a title in Arizona?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a car that I bought here in California that was supposed to be a parts car. As these cars get fewer and fewer in numbers, it makes sense to save them when possible. It is mostly complete.
I never got paperwork on it. I know ways to get legitimate titles here in California but what about Arizona? Here in CA, they do a VIN verification and in doing so, the car needs to have an engine, be operational and mostly complete.
I know that some states don't require titles for cars after a certain age.
This isn't a high dollar car, just a 318 Duster. I want to get the paperwork in order to make it easier to sell. I'm just wondering how hard it might be to take to Arizona when we move and get it registered there.
Who has insight on this?

The oldest car I've registered here in AZ was a '67, and they did require a title. I was expecting them to at least want to see the car (which was a roller), but they didn't. As far as I know, they only do an inspection if it's something like a homemade trailer. I've registered a couple cars that came from New Mexico with no problems at all, but then again I did have titles for them.

I would look into getting a "bonded title," I think that's what they do here if you purchase a car without a title.

I have a car that I bought here in California that was supposed to be a parts car. As these cars get fewer and fewer in numbers, it makes sense to save them when possible. It is mostly complete.
I never got paperwork on it. I know ways to get legitimate titles here in California but what about Arizona? Here in CA, they do a VIN verification and in doing so, the car needs to have an engine, be operational and mostly complete.
I know that some states don't require titles for cars after a certain age.
This isn't a high dollar car, just a 318 Duster. I want to get the paperwork in order to make it easier to sell. I'm just wondering how hard it might be to take to Arizona when we move and get it registered there.
Who has insight on this?

We registered a car here in Prescott without paperwork and it was 50 bucks for a bonded title and they didn’t need to see it.

I registered a bike the same way.
I told them I got a bill of sale with it, but had no idea where it went.

Talk to the DMV, talk to the CHP

Any car not in the system needs a VIN verification when bringing them to California, I don't know the particulars as the ones I have done were complete cars. Different places like AAA can also do it.

California isn't as difficult as people make it up to be, a Statement of Facts Form may be all you need and any paperwork from the original sale/purchase with the Application for Title Form.

Alan

I have never been asked to see any of the cars I brought from california. The box truck was registered and insured in AZ while it was still in Cali, by e-mail and phone, by my partner in the truck.
Registered the Opel with a Cali pink that wasn't even in my name.
EVERYTHING I have registered in AZ is registered for five years, (for less than one year in california)
I'm sure it might be different in Tuscon or Phoenix, but my last visit to the ADT, I got my business done, in and out in eight minutes, (faster than in-n-out).

-
Back