Dipstick dilemma

-

bighammer

Reaction score
Wth? This question is in regards to my LA 360...

So I swapped out the truck pan for a car pan, I'm assuming that's part of the reason for the different lengths of dipsticks (?)

Anyway, as you can see in the photo below, the l o n g dipstick is the one I removed from the truck application. The shortest (chrome) one is one I picked up from a website, I forget where. But it is about an inch shorter than the used take-off I bought from a member here (the other orange painted tube) My best guess is the used one I bought from a member is going to be correct, but I don't know if it was from a 340 or 318. Are they the same?

Can you provide me with the correct measurement of the dipstick with this 360 car pan? Due to different length of tubes, the measurement I will need is the distance down into the block the stick will need to be inserted, regardless of tube length.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 212
I tried to measure my tube in the car but couldn't get a good measurement, the stick however is 10 3/4 from where it bottoms in tube to tip. You can always put 5 qts in and ck the stick for accuracy. Remark if necessary.

If you have the stock capacity oil pan just dump 5 quarts in it and insert the dipstick and see where it is at. I bought an aftermarket chrome one for my duster and had to do the same thing. I made a hash mark for the full mark and called it good.

Well, that could work, if the dipstick is long enough. But look apt the picture. The center one is the one I wanted to use. The bottom of the stick lines up with the "full" Mark on the other short one.

Also, if adding 5 quarts to establish the full mark, this assumes filling the oil filter prior to installing it(?)

Can anybody figure out why the original dipstick is so freaking l o n g when compared to the other two? I mean it's not even close! (What you can't see in the picture is the different lengths of the tubes themselves) but.. the portion of ANY dipstick that goes down into the block should be the same for ALL LA engines, no?

Put four quarts in, run it a minute. Shut off and let oil return to pan for a while. Use any stick you want that reaches the oil, and mark add line. Add another quart, let it drain down, mark full line.

-
Back