Dipstick Questions

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
No, not me ya wiseguys! :D

Can anyone tell me if a dipstick from a 72 Mopar 318 engine is the same part for a 69 340 engine? Will the readings/markings be the same?
Not the tube, the stick itself.

Thanks,
George

I just came aross a good one today,,,,we were changing the oil in my sons 72 dart,318,,,,put 5 quarts of oil in and it barely registered,,put one more in,,,still low,,,,checked dipstick on my 273 thats out of my valiant waiting for a rebuild,,,longer dipstick,,slightly overfull reading,,,,checked dart dipstick to 318 in my valiant,,,its the same length

It really does not matter. Even if you get the "right" dip stick, the tube holder could be in more or less than when it was put in at the factory.

What you need to do is change the oil and put a new filter on-pre fill it first, like always-and then add the rest of the 5 quarts of oil. Run the motor to seal the filter and after the motors off for a 1/2 hour or so-making sure the oil drains back in the pan.

Then check the oil level with the dip stick and where the oil line is, take a file and mark the dip stick. Thats your max oil level line. Not a bad idea to check all dip sticks like that. Just make sure you know how big the oil pan is. Some take 5 quarts, not 4 like the 318's.

-
Back