Dipstick tube question

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
I picked up a dipstick and tube at the junkyard today from a 74 Slant Six Dart.

Tried to put it in my 71 Slant Six and the tube just will not go in past 1/4" or so into the block. Started making me think there was a broken off tube piece stuck in the hole but I don't see or feel anything with a screwdriver blade.

I know this is a small thing but I am kinda stumped. Is there a trick? The tube I pulled at the junkyard came out without a huge amount of effort.

Thanks

Brian

Im having the same problem with the one I pulled off a builder motor doesnt seem to want to go back in either. Must be a special word or turning combo we dont know about yet:-s

Guess I'll file some around the tube until it fits right.....

That will work. I also like to put a little rtv around the end of the tube.
Seals nicely when you get it home.

I take a block of wood,and put it on top of the tube. Then tap it down with a hammer. Tap being the key word.

Tried the tapping, gently, but with the curve it kinda makes it less effective.

It had a short straight tube in there that fits nice but I couldn't locate a short dipstick so I don't know if that tube was correct or not.

Some have said to use a box wrench that fits over the tube but will not go past the "flange" that bottoms at the block and tap the wrench with a deadblow hammer till seated.IF it has a mount bracket welded to it you can do the same with a open end.Also RTV will lube going in and seal it to the block. Just a thought.

To remove a broken stub out of the block with the engine in the car, I use a tap that will thread into the inside diameter of the tube. Early slant 6's didn't have a tube with the stop flange at the bottom. I don't remember any until mid '70's. The most important part of the installation is to get the tube installed at the correct angle so the crank doesn't hit the dip stick and clip it off.

-
Back