dirction signals

-

Quantum53

Reaction score
I have installed new printed boards in my ' 69 Dart. I thought maybe something was wrong, so I stuck the old ones back in and wired them up. The signal lights, light up when the parking lights are on. I've even tried three diferent headlight switches and the same thing happens. Is this the way it's supposed to be? I've also installed a new wiring harness from year one. Thanks.

I cleaned the grounds and still the same. I ran a new wires and grounded, still the same. Any other ideas, or do I let it like it is?
Thanks

With the emergency flasher switch off the major common point between the front parking lights and the turn signal lights is the ground in the front parking light housing. Do you have fender mounted indicators? Are they coming on also? Do the turn signal lights in the front housings light up along with the parking lights? Quick way to tell if it is the front lights giving you the feed back - remove the bulbs from the front parking light and see if the problem continues. Check between the bulb socket housing (bulb ground) and a known good ground point with an ohm meter. Should be less than 1 ohm if you have a good ground. Of course we have not looked at the ground of the dash. If it does not have a good ground and the parking lights do - the dash illumination will use the turn signal light ground to provide a ground path for the dash bulbs thereby lighting up the indicator bulbs in the dash only. Electrical germlins are hard to track down. You just have to get an understanding of how the system is suppossed to work, use a good electrical diagram, and methodically eliminate possibilities. (Oh and hope for a little luck along the way.)

The point about the dash ground is an important one. If you're testing it without the instrument cluster either fully installed in the dashboard (or without a test lead completing a ground path from the ground trace of the circuit board to the metal dashboard) then you're going to get weird circuit feedback.

Thanks guys. Quick trips in and out of a cold garage. Took the bulbs out and the problem went away. Getting ready to take complete housing out and check when, hey, dummy, try a ground first like the guys said. Yeah, I was doing everything without the cluster completely together and hadn't given it a thought. Ran a lead from dash housing to dimmer post on door jamb and the problem went away, along with the lights getting brighter.

-
Back