Direct connection or duck lip spoiler

-
i wonder how much work it would be to make that fit a flat 70 trunk lid?

That’s pretty common for the original DC spoilers, it’s hard to find ones that were actually mounted that aren’t like that. You’ve got a pretty clean example there, it looks good.

They were originally supposed to be mounted with plastic push rivets, but they end up getting mounted with sheet metal screws a lot. The bottom of the screw pocket doesn’t always sit flat on the trunk so when the screw gets tightened down the ABS cracks.

An ABS epoxy will take care of that. And if you put spacers on the backside of the screw pockets when you do that it’ll keep it from cracking again.

This one was mounted with aluminum rivets. It came off pretty easy. Looked ok but just not for me.

i wonder how much work it would be to make that fit a flat 70 trunk lid?

An original wouldn’t be that easy. To make it look right you’d have to section out the part that’s clearanced because the ridge/lip on the edge follows it. Then epoxy a flat section in and bodywork over the top. I wouldn’t mess with an original ABS one.

Fiberglass would be the same process but the fiberglass work would be easier IMHO. The bodywork would be easier. Maybe that’s just because I know how to work fiberglass and haven’t worked with ABS much.

An original wouldn’t be that easy. To make it look right you’d have to section out the part that’s clearanced because the ridge/lip on the edge follows it. Then epoxy a flat section in and bodywork over the top. I wouldn’t mess with an original ABS one.

Fiberglass would be the same process but the fiberglass work would be easier IMHO. The bodywork would be easier. Maybe that’s just because I know how to work fiberglass and haven’t worked with ABS much.

thanks

i was afraid it might not be easy
(i entertained the thought of getting a 73 and up trunklid and the spoiler, but decided to pass on it)

Are there installation instructions for the original DC rear spoiler? I got one last year from eBay and wanted to see how they installed it ‘back in the day’

-
Back