Dirt Track Racing..

-

Sarah89

*Troublemaker*
Reaction score
Anyone else here like dirt track racing? I guess you could say that's my other my true love. :love4: lol

I've spent time both in the stands and on the track, and I find that it's went past a hobby for me, it's really become an addiction. I can hardly wait to be able to finish up my new racecar and get back out there.

So, anyway, I was just wondering if any of y'all are into dirt track racing. If so, as a fan or driver? Also, what tracks have you been to?

-Sarah

Hay Sarah89 I raced dirt track for 6 years and my son has the bug know.
I have raced at crowlley Ridge race way, Hartland race way in harisburg Ark.
This was back 15 years ago then the DR ordered me out of them.
This is his second year and is doing fine and loving every moment.
My wife don't like it very much but she has went a few times with us.
It scares her to death. :scratch: :blob:

The first car and the new blue rollbar car got black skin.

247c11.jpg

blue1.jpg

blue3.jpg

They forced our dirt track out of business here in NWQ, said it was too loud, only because idiots decided to move next door.

They shoulda known.

Dirt track racing is fun to watch, especiall for the accidents. Would have been fun to get into if I had had the money.

Sarah89 said:
Awesome! What kind of cars did you race?
My first pure stock was a 73 nova I raced for two years, Then I built a 76 Malibu and it was a second place championship car for two years in a row.
A young man and his father offered me to much for it at the track and I sold it to him. I drove a track car for two seasons I just had to show up with my helmet and fire sute and go racing it was a hobby car the track owner built for me 77 z28 . What number do you run ? I have always ran four # seven
so I used #47, creed as you can se runs 247.
those where the days. Know my son creed is making new memories for him and I. I go and help at the track some Friday nights and inspect cars as they come in for safety and tire size.

Yep Sarah89 nothing can replace it. :-|

I raced dirt karts and mini sprints for a few years. Ran at Santa Maria, Hanford, Madera, Manzinita and Rockey Mountain. Got too expensive and sold it all. Man do I miss it though!!!

DragginMAster - I know how that is. We lost a local track back in about '97 or so..the track had been there for years, but then they decided to build an apartment complex or something right next to it. And of course, it was loud every Saturday night, it bothered some of the new residents..the race track never wins that kind of battle.

Mike - I got started in a Cruiser/Factory Stock when I was 14. My brother and I built it, a '77 Cutlass, and I raced it as the #B4u..I sat around thinking of clever numbers, and I liked that one best. It was a blue car. My plan is to move up to a Southern Stock, a faster car with much more open rules. I started on a '75 Cutlass, and then I recently bought a 70's Camaro that is already caged..so as of right now I'm unsure which one I'm going to finish building first. I do already have my number and color picked out for the new car, it'll be an orange #00..that's what my brother raced when I was little (his was a Nova), and he's the reason I first got interested in dirt track racing. When I'm racing I race at Ark-La-Tex Speedway in Vivian, La. And that's where I prefer to watch at, as well. Their website is www.ArkLaTexSpeedway.com

Slanted66 - That's cool. I've got a friend that races at Manzanita..he's in a BRA Modified this season, he used to race a Factory Stock. He also races at several other area tracks, especially racing with a touring series this year. But he's said that Manzy is one of his favorites. I've always wanted to go watch sometime if I was ever out that way.

the problem with dirtracing is everybodys running chevys i'm mopar faithful can't see buying aticket to help someone build a chevy motor ya can't tell me that u can't build a 360 for about the same theres alot of winning mopars in the outlaw and sprint cars which is dirt but all the little tracks are all chevys what a waste of the sport mopar or no car what i live by my son was gonna buy a mustang but i told him he couldn't park it in my yard so he bought a srt-4 and were both happy

Here in our town there is a cubic inch rule that favors the chevys, I beleive that it is 355cid. 318's just cant run with them out there. There is one guy that runs an old aspen with a 340 in it. The car doesn't handle very well in the corners but just walks away from them going down the straightaways. He has been track champ a couple times. I don't know if he is even running out there anymore, it has been a couple of years since we even went out to watch. 340's are getting so hard to find anymore and with the cost it is not really fesible to do. Personally i am not really into it, i just think that it is no more than glorified demolition derby. i just cant see putting that kind of money into a car and then going out there and tearing the crap out of it. I say let the chevys do it, they are not worth anything anyway. if you are going to race it, i say drag racing is the way to go, you may still have to work on it at the end of the day, but at least you are not replacing or beating out body panels every week! - just my opinion, and you know what they compare them to!!

Well, I've got some buddies at the track that race Mopars. On average they do decent, never excellent, but usually not terrible. But I think you could build a car that'd do better than they do, you'd just have to change a few things. I've toyed with the idea of running a Mopar as opposed to the GM's like I usually run, but I've got three main reasons I keep deciding against it.
1) Eventually you're going to tear it up, wear it out, whatever..there goes another Mopar down the hole.
2) It's cheaper to fix the GM cars when they break..and yes, WHEN..not IF. lol
3) In the aftermarket circle track world..it's a lot easier to find pieces and parts for GM cars than it is for any other brand..and you have plenty to choose from.

hasnt anyone explained to you all that cars belong on pavement? lol
any track or santioning body with a clue will let you run up to 366 to alow the 360s. but i have found most dirt tracks to be pretty clueless. as far as that goes , do they check displacement? either way, 340s are still around if you open your eyes, Ive had so many of them that it took me a while to actually build a 360 cuz the 340s were cheap power. and yes, if you build them for things like Imca they cost about the same as a chevy, last longer, and almost never get claimed, so you can afford to do a little bit more to them. mopar chassis are a bit tougher to figure out , but they can be made plenty fast..heres one of my hobby cars

1-11-12.jpg

-
Back