Dirty Gas Tank Help?????

-

okiemopar

Reaction score
I pulled my gas tank off and it has a thick layer of gunk in the bottom, looks like tar. What can I use to clean it up? It is not a hard layer it is still runny. Will mineral spirits take it out? Would like to get some thing local to clean it. It isn't rusty just really gunky. Thanks Ronnie

I used water soluble parts cleaner, and chain. Chain link diameter of about 1/8". Made plugs for the tank holes from flexible plastic shipping foam. Get help to slosh the tank, it gets heavy with a few inches of water/cleaner. I used Dawn and hot water as the final rinse. Dry open, in hot sun. Results were excellent, looked new inside.

I saved the drain mixtures for hazardous waste disposal.

I used water soluble parts cleaner, and chain. Chain link diameter of about 1/8". Made plugs for the tank holes from flexible plastic shipping foam. Get help to slosh the tank, it gets heavy with a few inches of water/cleaner. I used Dawn and hot water as the final rinse. Dry open, in hot sun. Results were excellent, looked new inside.

I saved the drain mixtures for hazardous waste disposal.

I put water in the tank to dissolve the gunk in the beginning. Then take the mixture and dispose of it at the city where they take up to two gallons. I use pea gravel instead of a chain but the results will be the same so either will work. The final step is done at the car wash by washing every crevise I can get to with the high pressure. I rinse in clear water at the end, take a shop vac when I get home, remove all the water I can get and then I sit it up in the sun to where any other water will craon yo where I can get at it with the shop vac again.

Besides the sediment in the bottom, pay careful attn. to the top. There's usually a lot of rust/scale buildup there. That's what Kit & Ok mean by using the chain/gravel when agitating.

-
Back