Disassembly questions and need some general knowledge.

-

1963dartgt

Reaction score
So ive got the slant on a stand and me and the doy started tearing into it. It seems its been through one rebuild(silv-o-lite pistons). The bores are standard. My problem is none of the rod cap numbers match the rods. Should i correct that when i assemble the engine?. The crank has no grooves i can catch my nails on can i get away with just a polish?. Im gonna have the block hot tanked as well and new cam bearings installed should i have the cam before the machinest installs those? Also my bearings only have what seems to be a date of 10 85 and a part number of cb606g no std. Or .010 is it safe to say those are standard size? Sorry for all the questions its my daily driver for a 60 mile round trip and i need to make sure it last. Thank you.

crank sounds good but have the machinist check it anyways.
the rod caps,
are you saying that during the former rebuild they did not install the right caps in the right places?
same thing have the machinist check,wouldnt hurt to have it all line bored either.

the bearings when i looked them up,seem?? to be standard size going off your part number.
i would compare them Carefully to make sure All the numbers shown match and they arent different sizes.
your machinist will be able to tell you by measuring the crank anyways.
see link and numbers on bearings in picture.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...rd-connecting-rod-bearing-pair/cb606g/5773966

things to consider for a slant six.
diff years used a diff distributor gear between distrib and cam
make sure you have the matching components.
doublecheck twice before installing distributor using Any kind of bronze or tougher gear.
Keep this in Mind when ordering a Cam !!
Ask them specifically which one to use.

Cylinder bores and crank need to be properly miked to determine if they can remain standard or need to be machined. Connecting rods need to be re-sized with ARP bolts and then installed in their proper order. Any cam be installed with the cam of your choice after new bearings. Popular hop-up items are- milling the head for more compression, a little more cam, more carburation and headers. Have fun.

Well i pulled the motor for a rering and seal all the bearings are wearing pretty evenly and none of them are spun. My problem is living in a pretty rural area nobody will recondition rods within 300 miles of me. They all said that they can get new ones cheaper,then i tell them what i have and nothing the can do.

Thanks for the replys ive got a guy on here that has some recond rods with arp studs. The plan was for an overbore and a head cut and a new cam from oregon cams.

Well i pulled the motor for a rering and seal all the bearings are wearing pretty evenly and none of them are spun. My problem is living in a pretty rural area nobody will recondition rods within 300 miles of me. They all said that they can get new ones cheaper,then i tell them what i have and nothing the can do.
Have the big end of the rods checked for size and roundness before you sign up to having them resized. Stock slant rods are pretty tough and those engines when new were low power, they could easily be fine the way they are. Any good machine shop can check them for you. And unless you are building the slant for big power and high RPM, or the rods have been torqued and then taken apart numerous times. the stock OE rod bolts will be fine.

-
Back