disc brake checklist

-

Phily

3XL, loud pipes, loud music, loud weed
Reaction score
I'm rolling a 76 dart pictured. The swinger I took from not sure of year but I added a pic of as well just because.
Somy wheel bearing went bad on my drum brake on the passenger side. The outer bearing was so bad it was trying to push off the spindle? The outer nut came off stripped and I couldn't get the drum to come off even with a sledge hammer. Only option was to pull the whole thing for now. Only prob was nobody around has an old a body with drums.
So I called the salvage yard an hour away I know that has a dart swinger. So I called them up and 200$ I went and pulled the spindle caliper and rotors. Damn it I need to order pads just remembered lol. I'll do that today. I ordered the brake hoses and the second set of bearings as I have a set for one side already. I believe the bearing are the same for both disc and drums. Tempted to reuse the driver side as the only have less than 1k miles on em but better safe than sorry.
I know I need to find a proportioning valve still. Any leads?
Am I missing anything else. Will I need to get another alignment. I just got one 2 weeks ago since I've redone the entire suspension minus the torsion bars and bump stops on the lca
UCA and lca are the same I believe.
I will need a new caliper later as I noticed a wear difference between the pads on the driveraide I pulled off. Knowing my luck both will need replaced but as long as they work they should get me thru a few months til I can order new ones. Never did this before. The swap I mean. Changed a crap ton of components on disc and drums just never the drums to disc swap.
Really sucks because on the thedrums shoes are new hardware kits is new cylinder new and I was gonna replace the driver side cylinder in the next few days as I bought a new one of those too. New hardware also. Basically the internals of the drums are all brand new. Even the damned bearings that toasted. With what I've put into the I could have already did the swap. And here I am rambling sorry

IMG_20170429_154536.jpg

IMG_20170429_154705.jpg

IMG_20170429_122653.jpg

IMG_20170429_122650.jpg

IMG_20170411_094712.jpg

That car looks gorgeous in gray. You got some options with the proportion of valve, you can go with a factory replacement disk brake one (might have to bend your lines a little to make it work. Can't remember if I had to). Or get an aftermarket adjustable one and keep your drum proportioning valve. I put a wilwood adjustable valve where the main body line meets the rubber line going to the rear end.

For the alignment, others might get skeletor about it, but I didn't get one after my swap. Just see if it feels weird driving or if the tires are wearing bad after. If not, meh, id leave it.

Last edited:
Thanks. It was originally silver. Until my buddy ghetto painted it. I'll be taking it down to the metal before I'm done. Was thinking sassy grass green. Maybe some purple ghost flames and possibly some skills. That is still a couple years to go tho. I wouldn't mind taking it back to silver tho
How would that work. I've never done this before. Hell haven't done much to older cars really other than maintenance and changing a few parts. But not fully changing brakes like this
I think I seen one on summit like what your talking about. So u can keep the original master? Not dick with anything but the one line? And just adjust it so it reduces pressure to the back?

You're going to need a disc/drum specific master cylinder. Next time you're under the car look at the back where the main body line meets the rubber line that connects the back brakes to the rest of the system. You'll have to cut down/flare a small metal line to connect the female end of the proportioning valve to the femal end of the rubber hose. The main body line is a male end a will connect to the other female end of the proportioning valve.

The proportioning valve is single in and out, female ends. Many ways to skin the cat though. You can put the adjustable valve wherever you want too. As long as it will affect just the rear brakes.

Yes, you can then adjust how much pressure goes to the back. I even used it as some backwoods linelock type deal lol. Just close it off. No issues with it yet

So my master cylinder won't work?

IMG_20170411_112550.jpg

Looks like the right one to me. The drum/drum master cylinder reservoirs are both the same size. While the disk/drum cylinder the back is bigger than the front.

Looking online at oriellys I don't see an option between disc and drum master cylinder

Ya the res closest to the fire wall is double sized or bigger than the res closer to the front of the vehicle. One less part for me to buy makes it a good day

-
Back