disc Brake conversion

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I am about to start my DBrake conversion (finally). The rear end is done so It's time to get started. My 65 will be moving to a 68 KH set up. I have the Dbrake spindles,calipars,rotors, hubs and backing plates. I will need a master cylinder and a prop valve.
Anything else I need to know? I am pretty sure I can retain my ball joints leaving them in the A arms and just bolt the DB spindles on since they are pre73. do I need to go larger Ball joints? Advice is always golden here.

You will be able to use the stock upper ball joint used uup through 72 on disc and drum brake cars. I "think" you'll need the lower ball joint specified for the disc brake. As I understand it, the only difference between the drum and disc lower ball joint is the size of the bolts used to fasten it to the spindle (larger for the disc setup). If that's the case I suspect some reaming out of the mounting holes will have the same effect as locating the "more expensive" disc brake ball joint.

So now I am confused , Do I need the larger lower Balljoint for the '68 disc brake spindle . What do I need to ream out 1/2 to 9/16. Sorry

If the lower ball joints are still nice and tight on your car, they can be used by drilling the mounting bolt holes larger from 1/2 inch to 9/16 inch, or you buy new disc brake lower ball joints that are 9/16 inch that attach to the spindle.
The difference in ball joints are DRUM brake ball joints mount to the spindle with 1/2 inch bolts, and DISC brake ball joints mount to the spindle with 9/16 inch bolts.

If the lower ball joints are still nice and tight on your car, they can be used by drilling the mounting bolt holes larger from 1/2 inch to 9/16 inch, or you buy new disc brake lower ball joints that are 9/16 inch that attach to the spindle.
The difference in ball joints are DRUM brake ball joints mount to the spindle with 1/2 inch bolts, and DISC brake ball joints mount to the spindle with 9/16 inch bolts.
Thanks man that clears it up.

-
Back