Disc Brake problem 72 Swinger

-

jerrygriffin

Reaction score
I have a 72 Swinger with 4 piston caliper front disc brakes. Last night I installed new rotor and caliper on the right front, and new pads both sides. I could not get the caliper pistons to release on the outside of the left front without taking the brake lines loose and releasing them. I did that, bled the brakes and it seemed to work fine. This morning the brake lights were on, and I belive there must be something holding the pressure in the lines, causing that right front caliper to hang up in the first place and the brake lights to stay on. Any ideas?

The brake lights work off of a switch on the brake pedal, pressure in the system doesn't have anything to do with it.

Chuck

Don't know exactly why brake lights are on, but I would see if breaking the line loose on the back side of rubber brake hose will release pressure also.

More than once, I had a rubber flex brake line swell shut. Brakes applied normally but would not release. Crack the fitting loose on each isde of the rubber line and see if you can isolate the hose as being bad. I also agree that the brake lights are unrelated unless the piston in the bore of the master cylinder is not releasing.

Like lawndart 360 said, I've seen the rubber brake hoses collapse inside. Usually by the time you see any cracking, wear, etc. on the outside, they can already be deteriorated inside. As for the brake lights, they work off of an electrical switch at the brake pedal, and not affected by the hydraulic system. As long as your pedal is coming back up and depressing the plunger on the brake light switch they should go off............unless switch is bad etc.

-
Back