disc brake question

-

rollin

Reaction score
i have a 66 dart gt, with 10 inch drums in the front. and am wanting to put discs on it and still keep the small bolt pattern. Does any one know what i need to do this?

I have a 70 with 10" drums and am doing the same thing. If you are staying sbp it's a little simpler as you dont need to switch all the ball joints.

I found a dondor car and got;

Master cylinder with booster,plus the inner fender brace from the master to the inner fender.

All brake lines including the proportioning valve and rubber lines to the calipers.

Spindles with disc,caliper,wheel bearings etc (everything hung off the spindle).

I purchased new lower ball joints for a disc brake set up seperately. It's your call. You could get the used ball joints along with everything else.

what type of vehicle would i need to be looking for there seems to be a lot of junk yards around me so i think i could probable find what ever i was needing and then get most of the other pars ie rotors and calipers new ?

You need a small bolt pattern disc setup from an a-body, OR you can buy the Stainless Steel Brake conversion, OR you could go with the Scarebird brand conversion (which is cheap and kinda hokey).

Stainless Steel conversion is well documented here: http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/1138.html

You can identify the Kelsey Hayes small bolt pattern discs by their unique 4-piston design, and the caliper rides at the back of the rotor instead of at the front. Any 65-72 A-body could have them, such as an early Barracuda (more common in '66, but some late '65's got 'em), a Dart, Demon, Duster, Valiant, etc.

I've attached photos of the Kelsey Hayes brakes.

You will need a new dual master cylinder, the spindle/knuckle, rotors with hub/bearings, lower ball joint and a proportioning valve which gets plumbed into the rear line. Unless you find one from the same car as yours, get an aftermarket Proportioning valve that is adjustable.

A lot of this is well written up here-> http://www.enbcom.com/cuda/tech/tom_condran/index.html

b97e_1.jpg

new KH ready to go.jpg

IMG_9429.JPG

Oh ya, you'll read a lot of stuff on the internet about changing over to discs but most of it is talking about switching to large bolt pattern single piston discs, which seems to be a very popular choice so a lot of the articles don't specifically mention they're about the large bolt pattern swap...be careful what you're reading. You want the 4" bolt pattern Kelsey Hayes swap, or the Stainless Steel brakes kit, nothing else...unless you want the Scarebird thing which uses Chevy calipers.....scared like a bird is right!

thank you so if i do the small bolt pattern i cant use my 10 inch drum spindles? or would it be easier to go ahead and swap over to the large bolt pattern and look for a new rearend to change to thelarge bolt pattern in the rear?

thank you so if i do the small bolt pattern i cant use my 10 inch drum spindles? or would it be easier to go ahead and swap over to the large bolt pattern and look for a new rearend to change to thelarge bolt pattern in the rear?
If you get the SSBC kit as 65s said, you can use your 10" drum spindles. I bought mine from http://www.performancesuspension.com it is a very complete kit including master cyl. part no. BRAA153 for 10' drums with 4" bolt pattern, and the good thing is if you decide later to go to the 4.5 pattern, the hubs do both pattern and they give you 2 sets of wheel studs.

brake.JPG

The advantage to doing the Kelsey Hayes swap is that you get disc brakes for a relatively cheap cost. I am doing this on my Scamp with core parts from my parts car. I have right around 600 dollars into the whole thing minus the pads which I have not purchased.

PICT0009.jpg

Ya, I think the SSBC kit is very cool, especially since you can do both 4" and 4.5" wheel patterns, but if you like to hunt parts and are ambitious to do some work yourself, getting the KH factory stuff is probably cheaper.

-
Back