Disc brakes on all Formula S cars?

-

mikeinsjc

Reaction score
I have a 68 383 Formula S Barracuda. It has front drum brakes (and a front sway bar). I was under the impression that all Formula S cars came from the factory with front discs as standard equipment. But it looks like mine have never been tampered with. Then I heard of another Formula S, 68 that has never been touched, and it also has drums up front. I was told that discs were in fact not standard equipment on the "S" cars, but an option. Can anyone confirm this?

I know for a fact that the 66 Formula S didnt come stock with front discs, they were an option. Cant say for sure that I know it was the same for the 68 but it wouldnt surprise me.

Back in those days you could order anything just about any way you wanted it. You know the old saying when it comes to mopar never say never.

I have a 68 383 Formula S Barracuda. It has front drum brakes (and a front sway bar). I was under the impression that all Formula S cars came from the factory with front discs as standard equipment. But it looks like mine have never been tampered with. Then I heard of another Formula S, 68 that has never been touched, and it also has drums up front. I was told that discs were in fact not standard equipment on the "S" cars, but an option. Can anyone confirm this?

They were an option as was a tachometer. Many think both were standard on a 68 S car, but they are not.

Your fender tag would tell you if the car came with Discs.

Drums standard then you had power and non power discs as options.

What is the letter in the 5th position of your vin number?

I have an original dealer brochure for a 1968 Barracuda.
As mentioned before disc brakes were an option on all styles including the Formula S.
The six cylinders had 9 in. drums and the v8s had 10 in. drums as standard
according to the brochure.
As said before the fender tag or the build sheet will tell you what it came with.

According to the 67 sales brochure I have:
383 cars required the Formula S option and disc, and air and power steering were not available.
Formula S cars came standard with: firm ride shocks, HD Suspension, and D70 14 inch redlines.
Tach or Vacuum Gauge were optional.

I have a 69 383-S that came without disc brakes.
Rod

-
Back