Disc break conversion

-

Itravelforfun

Reaction score
I have a 74 dart sport I am converting from drum to disc breaks using the all of the parts from a 73 swinger with LBB disc breaks including upper control arms, spindles, rotors, calipers and all associated break lines. From my understanding this set up had the caliper mounted toward the front of the car on the rotors? If I am reinstalling the sway bar that fits on my lower control arms will it be hit by the caliper? I also read that you can swap the spindles, calipers and brackets from side to side, moving the calipers to the torward the back of the car on the rotors. Is this true?

Thanks for help

Yes you can just swap the spindles, you most likely have to get longer brakes lines though. I had the same problem when I installed a sway bar so just swapped them.

Use a 1969 Camaro front hose and you will be perfect. Or play the game of trying to make a mopar line fit? You have the correct answer now. What you do with this info is up to you.

Correct. You can flip them. Just use longer hoses and your golden. Make sure you can still turn lock to lock and that hose isn’t being stretched

My set up. Calipers in rear with factory front sway bar. Not hard to do. Any questions?

20170704_220758.jpg

Alright, you already have a 73-76 A body, Drum brake car, that your converting to discs.
So then you have a factory sway bar on it, with the lower control arms having the mount tabs welded more or less in the center of the arm.
In that case you can mount the calipers in the stock location facing the front, without any interference problems.
It's when you have a 72 and earlier, sway bar equipped A body, that you run into clearance problems.

Last edited:
Alright, you a already have a 73-76 A body, Drum brake car, that your converting to discs.
So then you have a factory sway bar on it, with the lower control arms having the mount tabs welded more or less in the center of the arm.
In that case you can mount the calipers in the stock location facing the front, without any interference problems.
It's when you have a 72 and earlier, sway bar equipped A body, that you run into clearance problems.
Sound pretty straight forward. Only I don’t think it’s a stock sway bar. It’s a 1 3/16” bar and the tabs are bolted to the lower control arms. I don’t think I have seen anything like that before. It still may work as you mentioned above.

Sound pretty straight forward. Only I don’t think it’s a stock sway bar. It’s a 1 3/16” bar and the tabs are bolted to the lower control arms. I don’t think I have seen anything like that before. It still may work as you mentioned above.
Well then, in that case with an aftermarket bar, you may have to mount the calipers to the rear.
Your decision.
Works either way, front, or rear.

Use a 1969 Camaro front hose and you will be perfect. Or play the game of trying to make a mopar line fit? You have the correct answer now. What you do with this info is up to you.
is that for disc brake camaro?

Yes. Order it from a 1969 Camaro with a 396 engine. Disk brakes. If you talk to Doctor Diff (Cass ) He will tell you the same thing.

Would happen know the length off hand?

Look on rock auto. It will give the length. 20 1/4 if my memory is correct? But double check me.

To keep it all Mopar, if you wish, is hoses from the Aspen, and Volare, cars are known to work, from others that have done that swap, with calipers to the rear.

Whoever disagreed with that reply, tell us why?
It's been done a bazillion times with Aspen, Volare hoses.
Well, somebody removed there disagreement from my reply, so nobody is ever going to know. Didn't know you could do that.

Last edited:
These hose are pretty standard in application it's the that you'll have to consider

I ordered ACDelco 18J1798 hoses (for ‘69 Camaro) from RockAuto a few months ago and they fit/worked great (coupled w/1980 Diplomat calipers or equiv mounted rearward). I believe the specs say they’re just over 15.6”. Came with crush washers and bolts, if I recall.

Last edited:
-
Back