Disc conversion 8 lug

-

plymouth1937

Reaction score
As soon as the back end of the truck is done im jumping on the front brakes im from the old scool so no pre fab conv kits not on my watch a friend gave me a brake system from a newer corvette calipers and discs so im gona use the big front calipers made from alu and realy light and dont worry im grinding off any gm related proff the discs are realy expencive here in sweden but found a pair in germany for like 100 dollar whid shipping cost im using the original hub but puting them i the leade to be redone to fit the new disc then fab a adapter plate for the caliper iv done this on a number of cars and its prutty straight forward the challange here is the big calipers and space betwen the rim will try to post pics as i go alonge not my strongt side but il try

20211217_091740.jpg

20211217_091828.jpg

20211217_093048.jpg

What truck are you working on? Those look to be PBR calipers used on Covettes and Mustangs and possibly others.

What truck are you working on? Those look to be PBR calipers used on Covettes and Mustangs and possibly others.
Dodge d200 68 and yes its the calipers from pbr they look nice newer used them before

its a loot of metal work on this truck not rust but nothing fits nothing is in line im redoing most of the sheet metal work like the chopped top and so on but thats what iv been doing the last 35 years as a body and paint dude

Technically, the Mustang used a caliper that was located by the brake pad while the Corvette used a caliper with pins and the pad floated on the bracket, but both were manufactured and designed by PBR. Baer used to sell kits using both and based on the level of the kit, they seemed to rate the Corvette style higher than the Mustang style.

I used the C5 vette style on my DIY BBK.

To the OP, let me know if you need any info on those calipers. I've been running mine for a couple of years now. Be aware that the caliper can spread, though. I am just now getting full contact across the face of my brake pad. Not happy about that, but haven't decided if I am going to do anything about it.

FYI, it appears that LX/LC two piston calipers will bolt to the Corvette abutment (bracket) and give a caliper with bigger pistons and thus more brake force.

Technically, the Mustang used a caliper that was located by the brake pad while the Corvette used a caliper with pins and the pad floated on the bracket, but both were manufactured and designed by PBR. Baer used to sell kits using both and based on the level of the kit, they seemed to rate the Corvette style higher than the Mustang style.

I used the C5 vette style on my DIY BBK.

To the OP, let me know if you need any info on those calipers. I've been running mine for a couple of years now. Be aware that the caliper can spread, though. I am just now getting full contact across the face of my brake pad. Not happy about that, but haven't decided if I am going to do anything about it.

FYI, it appears that LX/LC two piston calipers will bolt to the Corvette abutment (bracket) and give a caliper with bigger pistons and thus more brake force.

Thanks, I didn't know the 'Vette version was different. I had a Baer kit on my 92'gt that used a 12.5" rotor and still retained the 4x4.25 bolt pattern and have the Dr Diff kit on my GTS. I never did change the pads on the Baer set up.

-
Back