Disconnect battery when parked?

-
I disconnect mine but I don't have a clock to reset LOL

I disconnect mine but I don't have a clock to reset LOL
I used to set the digital display clocks on everything from microwaves to clocks alarm clocks....you name it. Now I just don't care. LOL

I'll add this too......some guys.....as in the restoration business will add a main kill switch on things because they don't know how to wire a vehicle correctly. They always have a draw on the battery when they get done. I know a local guy who does that on everything he builds. For that reason alone is just stupid.

I know a guy that goes outside and throws the MAIN breaker at the meter box when he leaves his house. He had a house fire years ago that was caused by electrical. He says he sees the difference on his power bill too. lol
Your buddy ain't crazy for doing that -- I'd say at least 80% of the car fires we run are caused by electrical problems....and house fires, too, for that matter. I'm just in and out so often that it would be huge PITA to throw the main every single time I left. Haha

Your buddy ain't crazy for doing that -- I'd say at least 80% of the car fires we run are caused by electrical problems....and house fires, too, for that matter. I'm just in and out so often that it would be huge PITA to throw the main every single time I left. Haha
We would benefit, because it's 20 minutes to the closest town. 20 minutes there, fart around for a couple or three hours, 20 minutes back. Yeah we'd see some benefit, I imagine. That said, we have all our cats and it'd get pretty hot at this time of year so we caint do that to them.

I agree we've got to look out for our furry ones. Even when I'm on shift for long periods, I keep the AC on for my pups.

After reading this thread I succumbed to the pressure and installed a battery disconnect I had in my toolbox for 30+ years. My car does sit for long stretches.
9E7E1D87-7F72-40CB-8ADD-F617E0D26F9C.jpeg

Your battery would be dead at a car show, etc, before it would start a fire if you had that bad of a short to ground like you're worried about.
You're more likely to have an electrical fire when it's running IMO.

I have had trouble with getting one of these to completely disconnect sometimes. Can’t really tell visually on some of them.

-
Back