Disconnect Master from Push Rod

-

cidVicious

Reaction score
I replaced the master cylinder on my 72' Duster yesterday and it would have been a relatively simple job if I didn't have to spend so much time trying to separate the brake pedal push rod from the master cylinder. I ended up removing the internal components from the old master cylinder and cutting the guts off with a hack saw. While I finally got the push rod out and got everything back together and working, I know there must have been a better (and much faster) way to separate these two parts.

Does anyone know the CORRECT way to disconnect the brake pedal push rod from the master cylidner?

There is just a little plastic (or rubber) ring that is holding it in there. I tried heating it up with a heat gun and even that didn't seem to work. Any tips would be appreciated for next time.

Thanks,

Wow, that's a new one on me. There was never anything actually connecting the dozen or so I've pulled out over the years. Disconnect the lines, unbolt it from the booster or firewall, and there you have it in your hand. I cannot imagine what you did or did not do, or what was wrong with it in order to have to cut out a master cylinder.

There is a rubber o-ring on the end of the pushrod that fits into a groove in the master cylinder to keep it from inadvertantly coming out.

When they are old dried out and hard it can be quite a chore to get the push rod out.

I have never had to resort to cutting apart a MC to get them to seperate though. I always squirt some lube down in there when they are stubborn and that has always worked.

I use some grease on the ring when I put a new one on in hopes of not having a problem when I take it apart the next time.

I have been there to. Trying to yank, rip, twist, and heat the end. But someone else suggested to unbolt the master from the firewall and place a piece of 2x4 between the master and firewall and yank back on the pedal to disconnect the rod. Sounds quite workable to me.

Dartwagon`s got it , use the leverage of the pedal to remove it by putting a block of wood between the m/c and firewall and pull like you mean it. This method`s always worked for me.

When you put in the new MC make sure that it has that little rubber retainer in there. You don't want to have that pushrod accidentally come out. Could ruin your whole day. When you put the pushrod back in spray a little wd40 on it and it'll go in easier.

don

-
Back