Disk brake conversion ?

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
I have a 71 dart with drums all the way around. I just bought the front disk brake setup from a 73 dart. I got upper and lower control arms along with the spindles. I found that the lower ball joint is attached to a cast piece and is one complete unit on the donor parts. Can I use that same assembly from my 71 or will it not bolt up to the 73 spindle. I hope I made myself clear enough. If not, which year spindle should I be buying?

The lower control arms are the same. You need to use the 73 and up ball joint. So yes you can bolt the 73 and later ball joint up to your 71 lower control arm.

Just to make sure I understand, the lower ball joints are the same and the upper ball joints are different? I was thinking the only parts I really needed were the spindles and upper control arms, and calipers etc. of course

No the lower control arms are the same, The lower ball joints are not.

You need the upper control arms, ball joints, spindles and lower ball joints.

Just did the same swap not long since. 1973 to 1971 Dart. For the money, I bought new lower ball joints. They come complete with the cast piece you mention and are available from RockAuto starting around $20 each. Might be cheaper out there perhaps if budget is a concern, but while doing mine I thought the time was best to rebuild all the suspension and brake stuff.

As such, I used the lower arms off the '73 so I could put new bushes in and have the whole suspension rebuilt and ready to go on in one swap.

Cheers

Thats what I was looking for. Thanks a ton guys. I'm headed to Advance Auto to buy some parts. I'm going the same route as you Brit, I want to have the entire suspension ready to bolt in with new bushings also. Should save a little time. Thanks again.

-
Back