dist oiling Q

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
70's electronic dist. I disassembled it (except for gear/shaft) & cleaned it all thoroughly with solvent. should I oil the shaft & if so how would I go about doing it and I was thinking of pulling the pin/gear & reducing the end play with some shims (which if I did that I could oil the shaft at that point in time). is this needed & would it cause any gear mesh problems? thank you for your time. RR

White lithium grease. IMHO. Has worked for years. Ask #halifaxhops.
He knows for sure
Syleng1

Your dist gets oiled from the engine thru splash and the spiral chanal on the shaft.

If you soaked the dist in solvent then you might need to get fresh engine oil into the shaft bushing area ahead of first use.

My 67 era dist has a oil port on the side to add a few drops of light oil into as it is not intended to get oiled from the engine.

I didn't soak it in the tank but I did pour a good amount of solvent into the "bowl". I remember pics of those old dists with the oil tube on the side.

I'm pretty sure you can pull the shaft without too much issue.

I found a bunch of gummed up oil in one of my dists I took apart

IIRC, I read here that there is also a piece of felt in the upper shaft under the rotor. That needs to have oil on/in it as well?

Yes, that is what lubes the upper bearing. Should be done periodically.

Not too long ago I took apart and cleaned my whole electronic dist., mine had a mixture of dirt/oil, and surface rust. I used solvent then went over each part with wd40 and a scotch Brite red pad. Once I felt it was good enough, I cleaned all of it twice with a lint free rag that was wet with leftover (new) motor oil. First time to remove any residues, and the second time leave it all with a light film of oil. As I assembled everything I kept on checking that everything moved freely. At the very end I put a couple drops of 10-30 on the little sponge that lives in the top of the center shaft. I've had no issues since.

noted & I like your meticulousness. not sure how I can get oil down on the shaft without opening it up.

Last edited:
-
Back