Distributor bushing removal in car

-

Babyblue66

Cool dude
Reaction score
Is there a tool to remove / replace the distributor shaft bushing while the engine is still in the car. It's a 440. Mines getting loose and doing weird timing tings.

If your referring to the intermediate shaft, Yes. It removes/installs and another burnishes to size.
Some bushings come pre sized but can be loose. Not recommended.
If you were my neighbor, I`d let you borrow my set.

If your referring to the intermediate shaft, Yes. It removes/installs and another burnishes to size.
Yes that bushing. I'll have to Google it and get one.

So I bought a tool but realized after I got it, it's only for installation. I havent found one to remove it it while in the car.

So I bought a tool but realized after I got it, it's only for installation. I havent found one to remove it it while in the car.
Did a quick search, don`t see one either. I bought my system as a set I think.
IIRC It`s a shaft with a built in tap, screws in, with the other end threaded to draw it out.
If someone else doesn`t help between now and tomorrow, I`ll dig through my stack of papers and see if I can find the company.

Did a quick search, don`t see one either. I bought my system as a set I think.
IIRC It`s a shaft with a built in tap, screws in, with the other end threaded to draw it out.
If someone else doesn`t help between now and tomorrow, I`ll dig through my stack of papers and see if I can find the company.
I may have to make my own somehow. If I think hard enough I'll find a way to get it out.

Oreilly will rent you the slide hammer and pilot bushing attachment. I believe that attachment will adjust small enough to snatch that bushing out......but I admit I am not 100% sure.

Pull the oil pump off and drive it out from the bottom

If a pilot bushing attachment on a slide hammer won't fit, make an adapter for the end of the slide hammer like this and thread it into the bushing. I made this one to remove a pilot bushing in my 727.

1685287063269.png

If a pilot bushing attachment on a slide hammer won't fit, make an adapter for the end of the slide hammer like this and thread it into the bushing. I made this one to remove a pilot bushing in my 727.

View attachment 1716095411
That's the way the actual bushing remover is made. It threads into the bushing, has a collar that fits over the distributor hole and the top end is threaded. You tighten the nut down on top of the collar after threading the end into the bushing and it pulls the bushing right out.

This is it.
Bushing Remover

That's the way the actual bushing remover is made. It threads into the bushing, has a collar that fits over the distributor hole and the top end is threaded. You tighten the nut down on top of the collar after threading the end into the bushing and it pulls the bushing right out.

This is it.
Bushing Remover
Interesting! I've never seen the purpose-built tool for removing those. Makes sense though. Hell, a bolt with grooves cut into it welded to a piece of all thread and a nut looks like it would get it done. The OP should be able to figure something out.

Interesting! I've never seen the purpose-built tool for removing those. Makes sense though. Hell, a bolt with grooves cut into it welded to a piece of all thread and a nut looks like it would get it done. The OP should be able to figure something out.
Yeah, I posted that so he could see how easy it would be to make one. 112 bucks my big old butt.

The right size all thread rod, grind it to a semi point on the end and take a whiz wheel and cut a groove on it so it'll cut. A big thick flat washer on the other end on top of the distributor hole and a nut. Done!

This is it.
Bushing Remover
I dont need one , but "you da man ROB "
I`d make one tho after seeing the pic...

-
Back