distributor cap + wires

-

phf

Reaction score
is there a certain pattern to put the ignition wires on the distributor cap on a 318? is it different for an LA 318 and a Magnum 318?

Yes there is the firing order. It's 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 going clockwise and it's the same on LA's and Magnums. Some caps have #1 cylinder marked.

ok, is there anything else? cuz i got the wires on right, the distributor is set up right, i got spark, i got gas to the carb(and in most cases outside the carb too cuz it wont stop spitting when i try to start it) but i still can't get it to start...it's like im not getting any combustion at all. any help here?

If it's spitting gas out of the carb, or backfiring when you try to start it, chances are you have the distributor installed 180* out.
Did you bring the # 1 piston up to top dead center on compression stroke before installing the distributor? If not, remove the spark plug on cylinder # 1, and use either a remote starter or a helper to BUMP the engine over, while holding your finger over the spark plug hole. As soon as you feel compression pushing on your finger, crank the engine over with a socket on the harmonic balancer retaining bolt until your timing mark on the balancer lines up on the "0" mark on your tab. THEN, remove the distributor cap and ensure that the tip of the rotor is pointing at the #1 wire of the cap. If it isn't, re-position the distributor if it's out 180*, or, re-arrange your wires starting with #1 in the correct location in line with the rotor, and follow the firing order given above to install the remainder of the wires.
If everything checks out correctly the way you have it now, then you may need to advance or retard the distributor in order to get the engine to fire.
If that doesn't work, then you may have a carburetor flooding problem.
Also, make sute you have spark at the plugs while you have the # 1 plug out to do your TDC check.
Good luck.

Oldvart is right. You can crank all day long and not fire if your not on number one cylinder. Your distributor turns 1/2 revolution for every full rotation on the crank. That is why it will be at the #6 or the #1 cylinder when the balancer is at TDC. I would make sure your at TDC then like vart said, make sure the rotor is lined up with the plug wire going to #1 then just put them in order. If it's 180 out you can just move the wires around if they are long enough. Once you got it running you can go back and rotate the distributor 180* if you want to. Good luck.

also there is plety of info on the web concerning firing order and such. Here is a nice link:
http://boxwrench.net/specs/schrys_A.htm

Yep. What the guys above said. Anytime you take stuff off you have to mark it good or you'll get it out of time like that.

If you didn't remove the dist., just the wires, you just don't have them back on in their prospective places. Anyway you'll need to find #1 tdc like mentioned above and once you get #1 right all you have to do is install the rest of the wires in order of 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 counting clockwise and it should be right.

-
Back