Distributor hits Intake Manifold

-

notadart

Jittery Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,
Having a bit of trouble getting my timing set.

My HEI distributor (pretty sure it's this one- didn't get any packaging with it)

8362_full.jpg

hits its vacuum chamber on my intake manifold when I try to advance it. I'm still about 10' shy of ideal. (see attached image)

I've tried rotating it 180', but then I run into the same issue with the firewall, and it gets all mangled up in the kickdown linkage.

Rather not buy a new distributor or intake... any brilliant ideas?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 690
Either take it out and clock it differently or move the wires on the cap.

Pull it up and move it over one or two teeth on the cam gear...

Pull it up and move it over one or two teeth on the cam gear...

The distributor is driven by a slot. Either it's in right or 180* out. He will have to reclock the intermediate shaft to do what you are talking about. If it was mine, I would just move the wires one spot around on the cap and be done with it.

Yup, if you move the wires in the right direction you should have at least 30 degrees clearance after the timing is correct.

The distributor is driven by a slot. Either it's in right or 180* out. He will have to reclock the intermediate shaft to do what you are talking about. If it was mine, I would just move the wires one spot around on the cap and be done with it.

Either way gets the job done. Gotta admit though, Chevy makes it a lot easier with the gear atteached to the dizzy.

Yep, just move them all one tower counter clockwise.
Pull one and pull the one counter clockwise to it and put the first one in the hole you pullled the second one out of.
Keep doing that until you get all of them moved.
It literally only takes about a minute.

Yep, just move them all one tower counter clockwise.
Pull one and pull the one counter clockwise to it and put the first one in the hole you pullled the second one out of.
Keep doing that until you get all of them moved.
It literally only takes about a minute.

Okay, I've pulled them all out... how do I tell which posts to put them back on?

(insert winky joke emoticon here)

thanks buddy!

We should also be aware that no MOPAR was designed to use a big cap GM HEI style distributor.

Bob

Okay, I've pulled them all out... how do I tell which posts to put them back on?

(insert winky joke emoticon here)

thanks buddy!

Well duh, the number one cylinder wire goes in the number one cap hole, and the number two cylinder wire goes in the next one and three in the next one, right? :D

I was waiting for help at the Napa counter one day while the guy was trying to explain that to someone who took them all off and didn't know what a firing order was.

Well duh, the number one cylinder wire goes in the number one cap hole, and the number two cylinder wire goes in the next one and three in the next one, right?

Must be an engine that has 12345678 firing order. It could happen. LOL !!!

Well duh, the number one cylinder wire goes in the number one cap hole, and the number two cylinder wire goes in the next one and three in the next one, right?

Must be an engine that has 12345678 firing order. It could happen. LOL !!!

That's how my engine is since I re numbered the cylinders.
Now instead of 18436572 the number one cylinder is on the right front, the number two cylinder is on the left rear and so on. :D So my firing order is now 12345678.

We better be carefull, or we'll screw someone ALL up.:twisted:

-
Back