Distributor questions

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a couple question about my distributor setup. Ok my car is a 75 i have the orginal mopar electric ignition box with the ballast resistor setup. My engine came out of a 86 with an ecu mounted on the fendewell im assuming it has some kind of electical advance cause the distributor does not have a vacuum on it. My question is can I run the 86 distributor with my old wiring (the plug in is the same iv checked) without a vaccum or should i get a distributor with a vacuum advance ? Also I found a distributor to bypass all the wiring and ecu stuff its a vacuum advance hei system it says all it needs is a 12v power supply and a coil to run. Does anyone use these? Are they any good? Is it more reliable and perform better that the factory control box? Thanks

I dont have a 75 distributor i have 75 wiring i have a distributor out of a 86 will the 86 distributor work with the 75 wiring

watch out for the lean burn no advance dist don't use it.

I dont have a 75 distributor i have 75 wiring i have a distributor out of a 86 will the 86 distributor work with the 75 wiring

No, it's a lean burn unit. You need the older unit.

Your question was unclear as this post was the first you said that you did not have the 75 distributor. The 75 unit is the one I would use.

Your question was unclear as this post was the first you said that you did not have the 75 distributor. The 75 unit is the one I would use.
My question was can i use the 86 distributor with the old wiring? Idk how I could have worded it differently im sorry i was unclear thanks I guess I should have mentioned I dont have an old distributor lol i have one out of something but i dont think its useable its rusty and full of dirt lol i guess i will be buying one. Will any distributor with vacuum advance work with the the orginal igniton box and just to be clear it is a slant 6 ignition box

My question was can i use the 86 distributor with the old wiring? Idk how I could have worded it differently im sorry i was unclear thanks I guess I should have mentioned I dont have an old distributor lol i have one out of something but i dont think its useable its rusty and full of dirt lol i guess i will be buying one. Will any distributor with vacuum advance work with the the orginal igniton box and just to be clear it is a slant 6 ignition box

Yeah, you can use it. Wire it right on up.

throw out the newer one.go to local auto supply, order one for say, a 74 dart with 360, plug and play, or go to fbo and look at options there

Or simply offer it to someone doing an EFI build using a distributor as a trigger.
The LeanBurn distributors are perfect for this.

Lean burn has very little if any advance you will want to use the 76 distributor with the came curve as factory if you can find it.

-
Back