Distributor Revelations

-

KitCarlson

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Mallory Unilite. My motivation is to evaluate what is considered as a quality replacement for the OEM mopar electronic. My picture qualities are less than desired.

I started my evaluation by reviewing OEM points distributor specifications found in the FSM for my 1966 Barracuda 273. The specifications vary by application variables, including transmission manual/auto, 2B/4B carbs, and with or w/o cleaner air package. The cleaner air package also has a secondary vacuum control valve, that information is not shown.

The specifications on the distributor are in distributor degrees, and distributor RPM. To equate to crank values as we are more familiar with, the degrees and RPM must be doubled. Since my car is a 2B auto, now w/o CAP I used those specifications. Base timing 10 degrees BTDC.

I made a sketch of the OEM vacuum and mechanical advance based on the specifications. Each sketch shows two plots that form an envelope for acceptable performance. The variation in vacuum advance is as much a 6 crank degrees, and the mechanical by 4 degrees. The mechanical advance fairly moderate, and is fully in at 3500 RPM crank. Vacuum advance creates a significant part of advance above 11" of Hg. When I was a child, my dad told me no two cars of the same model, drive exactly the same. The variances in the timings may be a part of that.

Total advance, that we read with a timing light is the sum of base timing plus, mechanical advance plus vacuum advance. At wide open throttle (WOT) vacuum is near zero, so the vacuum advance is zero. The specification suggests at WOT 30 degrees total at 3500. At low throttle, situations as much as 27 degrees could be added by the vacuum advance. This should be raise attention for those without vacuum advance.

Mechanical advance happens with flyweights and springs that advance both the point cam and spark rotor in relation to shaft. Notice that the first slope is high at lower RPM. This is due to the light spring on the advance weight. There is also some contribution by the points rubbing block, for return action. The heavy spring has an intentional loop, resulting is slop before it comes into play at about 1660 RPM. The slope then decreases due to the heavier spring. At 3500 the slope is flat because the mechanical travel is limited by the slots in the mechanism.

This is getting long winded. I will post again and show how simple measurements are used to estimate advance spans without the use of a distributor machine. This may help those who which to experiment with distributor adjustments or verify their distributor components.

Attachments

• FSMtuning (800x588).jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0740 (800x675).jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 141
By using a caliper and a mity-vac it is possible to measure the vacuum advance curves. The range of mechanical advance can be measured with a dial indicator or a digital caliper. The math of converting measurements to degrees is simplified to multiplication and division when small angles are considered. I will not go into all that, I do show at bottom of calculation sheet

The vacuum advance in a OEM mopar moves the point plate, or the pickup plate in an electronic VR distributor. The plate pivots on a pin on the far side of the advance can connection point. The sweeping action moves the points in relation to the distributor cam, resulting in timing advance. I think the main reason of the sweep motion instead of adding a center bearing was economics and simplicity. The Mallory distributor has a center bearing, however they are fairly expensive.

A fine tipped Sharpie can be used to mark a reference point on the distributor body, to line up with a point on the pickup module on the advance plate. I show and example in the distributor picture. The mighty-vac is used to slowly apply vacuum until the plate just starts to move. Record the vacuum in inches of Hg (Mercury), it is the minimum vacuum of the plot. Below this vacuum the advance will not have an effect on timing. Then increase vacuum slowly just to the point the plate stops, record the vacuum value. The measurement points may be more accurately determined by repeating the tests, and using a dial indicator to measure travel. Mark the full travel point, and measure the length to the starting mark.

To convert to degrees is simple. The circumference (measurement around) of the distributor is about 10.6" for both the Mopar and Mallory with diameters of 3-3/8". For those with math skills Circumference = pi x diameter. The distance around a distributor is 720 degrees (remember distributor turns 1/2 crank speed). So if the distance between the marks is 0.2", vacuum advance range is (720 x 0.2) divided by 10.6 or 13.6 crank degrees.

On an adjustable advance, the set screw can be rotated to change the both the starting vacuum for movement, and the total advance. The setting changes both, so you do not have a choice. Counter clockwise results both advance limit and more vacuum to initiate travel.

Similar method may be used to measure mechanical advance range by holding shaft, and measuring rotor angular movement. A pointer can be super-glued to an old rotor to help with measurements.

Attachments

• Unilite (800x579).jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0736 (800x600).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0738 (800x680).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 140
-
Back