Distributor suggestions

-

jlindemann

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade to a new distributor, can someone make some suggestions for me? I have a 65 barracuda with a 318. looking one with vacuum advance and without points. Thanks in advance.

How hot is your 318? If it's mild, why not simply use a stock Mopar electronic distributor? You can get the witing harness for like 20 bucks. I might even have a stock distributor, I'll have to look.

Yeah it has a mild cam and a AFB 4 barrel, so pretty mild. Was just thinking it would be easier to go with an aftermarket setup, but I am open to any suggestions as I am not an expert in ignition stuff. Thanks.

Definitely a Chrysler electronic distributor, whichever ignition system (box, coil, etc.) you wind up with. Me, I like HEI; excellent bang for buck.

So I thought the distributor was my issue, so I ran the engine for a while and pulled all the plugs to make sure they all burned the fuel off. And of course they did. So now I am not sure what is making the engine wobble at higher rpms? Any ideas?

running lean at high rpm? what color were the plugs? AFB's are genally 625 cfm (should be plenty of carb for you), but not always, maybe need to rejet?

I have an old school dual point Mallory I will sell that work great.

When I pulled all the plugs they looked pretty black. I thought that meant that it was running rich. The carb was just professionally rebuilt, so I am not sure that is the problem, unless something came through the fuel line. Just not sure what else to check. Timing seemed to be OK, had it set pretty much to 0.

Dry black plugs = rich running (professionally rebuilt carb or no professionally rebuilt carb). Wet or sticky black plugs = oil entering combustion chamber.

Dry black plugs = rich running (professionally rebuilt carb or no professionally rebuilt carb). Wet or sticky black plugs = oil entering combustion chamber.

or sometimes you can have a wet plug (wet with gasoline) when its close to the end of its life

They are newer plugs and are very black. Can't say whether they were a sticky black or a dry black. I did notice that the threads seemed like they may have been wet, but everything else was dry. Is it a timing thing? Any other tests I can do to try to figure this out?

-
Back