Distributor Timing for 16psi??

-

MoparCrazy78

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving. I'm doing a lot of research for a turbo setup on an old school small block vs new school w/ mpfi. Any new school using a MAF sensor will compensate timing for increased boost no problem with proper tuning. There may be some (magnum?) that use a MAP or some other sensor for the same purpose. When it comes to old school engine using a blow thru carb, how is timing altered to prevent detonation. There may be an old thread with this info on it, but I wasn't able to find it. I appreciate any help you turbo savvy guys can provide.

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm doing a lot of research for a turbo setup on an old school small block vs new school w/ mpfi. Any new school using a MAF sensor will compensate timing for increased boost no problem with proper tuning. There may be some (magnum?) that use a MAP or some other sensor for the same purpose. When it comes to old school engine using a blow thru carb, how is timing altered to prevent detonation. There may be an old thread with this info on it, but I wasn't able to find it. I appreciate any help you turbo savvy guys can provide.

You can use a BTM if you are going to go with a Blow Thru Carb.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...uct-Line/MSD-6-BTM-CD-Ignitions/?autoview=SKU

Hi Mad Dart. You do very good fab work. You seem to know your turbo stuff, too. What I'm hearing is that there is no way to have a set it and forget it method using a carb. If that is the case, that stinks. I'll get the hang of turning the knob just enough. Thank you guys for your help.

Hi Mad Dart. You do very good fab work. You seem to know your turbo stuff, too. What I'm hearing is that there is no way to have a set it and forget it method using a carb. If that is the case, that stinks. I'll get the hang of turning the knob just enough. Thank you guys for your help.

Well I know about enough to get into trouble and that is it!

You could set it and forget it. Most guys take about an average of 2* of timing out for every pound of boost. You could turn that knob to your desired setting and then ditch it up under the dash. Same with a manual boost controller. Most guys leave them under the hood after they find the sweet spot. Less chance of getting "Greedy" and trying to squeeze a little more out of it. You know what happens when it is within the drivers reach?? "KABOOM" is the reason for getting it as far away from the driver as possible!:D

I am using the MSD BTM as well. Set it and forget it once the tuning is close.

-
Back