Ditched the Electric Fan for 7 Blade and Hayden Clutch # 2765 - HUGE Improvement

-

MobileCustoms

Reaction score
Like the title says...
I've been wanting to do it for a while, finally sourced the parts and modified a factory shroud to fit my Champion Aluminum radiator.
The temp was always creeping up at highway speeds to 220, sometimes more until I would slow down for a while. Now it stays locked in at 190 or less and generates WAY less heat in the passenger compartment as well.

***Factory Fan Shroud part # 3691917-1
***Hayden Fan Clutch # 2765
***For the 7 blade fan intended for use with a clutch I went to www.car-part.com and searched for a 7 blade fan for a 1972 dart with A/C.s an 18 inch blade. It turns out they used it for many years on cars, trucks and fans. I found one for $15 plus $10 shipping to my door and it was here the next day!

Only had to modify the fan shroud a litt to allow clearance for the upper radiator hose.

It really made a HUGE difference. Now I can just carry a spare fan belt and not worry about another electronic thing to fail and leave me stranded.

View attachment IMG_20160416_114049568_HDR.jpg

View attachment IMG_20160415_133330420.jpg

View attachment IMG_20160415_141550649.jpg

View attachment IMG_20160415_165234525_HDR.jpg

View attachment IMG_20160415_165225950.jpg

Way to go...

Mechanical fans are more efficient than electric....

I agree. Never liked electric fans on old cars. I replaced my fixed 4 blade fan with a flex a lite clutch and fan and added a shroud. All on a stock 22" radiator and no issues here in AZ.

Yeah you can preach it till you're blue in the face, but them Chrysler engineers knew what they were doin when they designed the clutch fan.

If God wanted us to fly he would have given us wings?

If Mopar thought electric fans were a good idea, every A-body would have had them.

What's the bolt pattern on that hayden clutch? I'm looking at getting one to run on my 340. I got a 4 blade fan on there right now that cools excellent. But makes hell of a noise and blows everything all over the place. I'd like the power and being able to work on my car under the hood without standing in a tornado.

Where did you find the fan shroud for this?

Like the title says...
I've been wanting to do it for a while, finally sourced the parts and modified a factory shroud to fit my Champion Aluminum radiator.
The temp was always creeping up at highway speeds to 220, sometimes more until I would slow down for a while. Now it stays locked in at 190 or less and generates WAY less heat in the passenger compartment as well.

***For the 7 blade fan intended for use with a clutch I went to www.car-part.com and searched for a 7 blade fan for a 1972 dart with A/C.s an 18 inch blade. It turns out they used it for many years on cars, trucks and fans. I found one for $15 plus $10 shipping to my door and it was here the next day!

Only had to modify the fan shroud a litt to allow clearance for the upper radiator hose.

It really made a HUGE difference. Now I can just carry a spare fan belt and not worry about another electronic thing to fail and leave me stranded.

ya same think with mine big improvement over the electric, i noticed you have some big gaps in the radiator to core support, if you use foam or something on those gaps you may drop temp even more and quicker.

i noticed you have some big gaps in the radiator to core support, if you use foam or something on those gaps you may drop temp even more and quicker.

Yea, that's part of the long-term plan.... Pulling everything out next Winter to paint the engine bay, new wiring harness, headlight relay kit, detailing, etc.

Where did you find the fan shroud for this?

I happened to come across it on a local Craigslist ad, a mile from my house! I think it was on a dart originally but not 100% sure.

Like the title says...

Nice!!! Any pictures or description of how you mounted the shroud to the radiator?

-
Back