DIY Heater delete vent

-

MTmopars

Reaction score
I was scratching my head for weeks on what to do on the passenger side of my car to delete the heater box but keep a vent. This is my solution...

Attachments

• 20140412_130137.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 20140412_130257.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 280
  • 2014-04-12 18.18.10.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 279
If you get going fast enough, the incoming air may force that vent open.

Some guys have used a left side stand alone vent. The vent door hinge would be on the 'wrong' side but it serves the same purpose. You could modify one also.

I actually bought two right side vent boxes from Australia. Their vent box is on the driver's side (right side steering wheel) and the vent door opens the 'right' way for a heater delete box. Just a thought. Most guys probably wouldn't go through the trouble to do that since the shipping can get pricey. Think of it this way though - real ones are basically non existent and if you found one, the price would likely be stratospheric. I figure I'm still money ahead and I have two.

You could also look at classifieds in the warmer states - Hawaii, FL., CA., AZ., etc. where there would have been more cars likely to have a heater delete.

Before I got the vents, I thought some sort of 6" round duct vent from HD or somewhere might work but I never really pursued that idea.

I personally like to have 'factory' parts for this type of thing but whatever. It would be easy enough to figure out some reasonable solution like you've already done.

Here's one of the Aussie ones I have. I also have one from an earlier car that had a broken door and hinge. This one had a vent grille that was operated by a cable like a B or E body one. It too was broken so I made a door out of 22 ga. sheet metal. I have changed that silly hinge that you see in the pic to a much smaller one. The snap closure latch is from a hardware store for a mailbox type application.

Attachments

• IMG_0101 (800x534).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 273
This is up under out of sight. I worried a little bit about air pushing the vent open but I think a paperclip will hold it closed in a pinch. I'll try it this way. If I don't like it I can always track down a passenger side vent. I had this stuff laying around and decided to give it a try.

That's a clever idea!
here's a real one. -pauly

Attachments

• 0828131836a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 235
And another. 1966 Dart heater/radio delete car. Just to the left you can see the dealer add on heater/defroster box.

Attachments

• dart 6.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 191
I made my own buy cutting the vent box from the heater and filling the gap with a section also cut from the heater box. Cheap and easy.

-
Back