Dizzy Problems

-

Ozcuda

gotta love a MOPAR
Reaction score
Hi guy's

I have just installed a new Mallory electronic distributor part # 5757901.

The problem is I have no spark I have tried a different coil, bypassed the ballist resistor & still no spark.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction I know it will only be something simple that I have over looked which will make me look stupid.

Any ideas appreciated.

There are three wires on that distributor; one to switched 12volts, one to ground and one to the negative side of the coil.

I would double check all the connections and verify that you have 12 volts on the power lead to the distributor when it's cranking.

Thanks Dave,

I got to read your unedited post from the notification email I received. I do have the power hooked into the blue wire on the ballist as that is what the instructions tell you to do. If that is no good weredo you recommend I get power from ? I have no way of testing to see if there is 12 volts at the blue wire.

Thanks again Graham.

If you don't have a volt meter the easiest way to check is to run a wire from the power lead on the distributor directly to the battery and see if it starts (you will need to disconnect the wire to stop the engine so best to have a helper). Not sure where you can get 12 volts with the key in the run position and start position but I guess the first step is to verify the engine runs with power. Next step would be follow what ever MAllory gives you to trouble shoot the distributor.

Also, if you are going to own an old car and try to work on it a digital multi-meter (DMM) should be at the top of your list of tools to purchase. You can get a perfectly good one for $20 at Radio Shack or a home center like Loews.

Sorry for the slow reply I have been away working for a few days.

I am going to hot wire it today I will post up what happens. next shopping trip I will pick up a multi meter.

Thanks Graham.

IIRC Mallory was having a problem with a bad batch of the optical pick-up sensors in the Dist.......if the hot-wire trick doesn't work that might be it.

Ok here is were I'm up to.

Hot wired the dizzy.....Still no spark

I have so far changed the ballist resister, tried another coil, hot wired the dizzy, swaped the new dizzy for an old points dizzy that I know was working......& still NO spark.

What am I over looking ?

Could it be the ignition switch ?

Thanks Graham

Dusterb318 said:
IIRC Mallory was having a problem with a bad batch of the optical pick-up sensors in the Dist.......if the hot-wire trick doesn't work that might be it.

Hi Duster,

The way things are going it would be my luck to have 1 with a problem. But until I get some spark I won't know.

Thanks Graham.

The bad optical pick-up would cause it to not have spark........

But if you put back a points distributor and still no spark then there is a power issue to the coil. I would make that shopping trip for a volt meter sooner than latter.

With the key in the run position you should have 12+ volts at the blue wires on the ballast and around 8 or 9 at the + side of the coil. With the key in the start position the 12+ volts on the blue wire on the ballast should go to zero when not connected to the ballast and the brown wire on the other side should be 12+ and the coil should be 12+.

Yep...you need to do some investigating before you start buying parts.

Hi Guy's

After playing around with it all day this is were I'm up to........I was thinking that the ignition switch had something to do with the problem & after I had a look I found that the young guy I got the car from had connected it up wrong......So after I fix that I now have spark all be it a very weak spark.

I still can't get the motor to fire up but at least I seem to be heading in the right direction......

I will go & get myself a multi meter today & test those connections you have suggested thanks again & I will let you know how I go.

Thanks Graham.

-
Back