DMH, QTP or RRP electric cutouts?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Anyone had any experience? I know they all will rattle and leak a bit with time. That's the cost of running cutouts. I'm looking for real life experience, good or bad. What brand is the best?

I have QTP and no issues and they are remote controlled so I didn’t have to put a switch in the car. Just liquid wrench them every month to keep clean and working fine.

Anyone had any experience? I know they all will rattle and leak a bit with time. That's the cost of running cutouts. I'm looking for real life experience, good or bad. What brand is the best?

Avoid Doug's and Pypes. I've also tried several others...ended up with QTP's. They last the longest so far.

The design of the Dougs looked the best to me. Why do you say avoid them?

Jeff

Just so happens I have ventured down the cut out road yet again recently.

Have 03 Ram with 5.9 Magnum with single exhaust. I purchased QTP cut out back in 04. Had trouble with it soon after I installed it. Can't remember exactly what happened but it was something do with the motor. Called them about it and they said it wasn't their fault that they possibly couldn't warranty the motor. Total DICK HEADS!
So I purchased another motor and it also broke. That's when I threw in the towel and capped the cutout off for good. About a year ago I rigged the cut out so it could be opened and closed manually. The only problem is I would have crawl under the truck and open and close it.... no big deal but still didn't like to get dirty if I could avoid it.
Now fast forward to two months ago I bought another motor to get the cut out working again. I'm having a 408 built and thought it would be great to have the cut out working without crawling under the truck. Hmmm maybe they have possibly upgraded their motors to where they don't break so I was thinking.

The motor got here and could tell that they have did away with the rubber cover and replaced it with a steel one. Ok.. that's good... maybe they have went back to the drawing board and fixed their junky motors....

Well the new motor broke again! The cut out would not close all the way.
What the F**K!
I just have walked into the house from the shop. I took the motor apart and on the inside there are gears.... one of the gears has teeth broke off! The fricken gears are made of this bronze/brass looking cheap BS metal!

From the time the first motor broke I have always been gentle opening and closing the cut out. I always shut the engine off, close the cut out, listening for the motor to bind just a little and immediately let off the switch. Same way with opening it. I figured it was me holding the switch too long and destroying the first motor. Well I've been through two motors now using the method mentioned above and both motors have broke internally.

All I have to say is either it's just not in the cards for me to have a cut out that works OR the motors on the QTP is junk!

I'll just go back to manual and not spend another $65 + $14 shipping on another motor.

Last edited:
I have been leaning towards DMH. I have heard good things about them. I don't mind having another switch in the car. I have a pretty good breathing 408 with three inch exhaust, so I don't expect much of a gain in power, but I want the 100 audio horsepower the unholy noise will give me.

I did it this way instead.

View attachment 1715156242

IMG_1988.JPG

View attachment 1715156244

fullsizeoutput_194.jpeg

I made them; they are on my father in laws 32 FORD at the exhaust manifold outlet. It does not get driven very often but so far, so good.
Tom

-
Back