DMT rallye dash trims "awesome options"

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all

I just talked with Jim at DMT. I was discussing carbon fiber upper and lower inlays for rallye dashes with him. I have a 69 notch i am slowly collecting parts for it to restore with my son.

A repop dash is out of the question for price reasons. As we know the 69-71 rallye dash has the leftover in dash cigar lighter from the 68 models that didnt have an ashtray lighter.

I asked Jim when i was ready to order these pieces if the in dash cigar lighter hole in the trim can be omitted. He said no problem. I have a plastic epoxy filler that i can plug the hole in the dash plastic with.

Depending on what we do for a radio i may ask him to omit the radio holes too. Kinda like a modern blank off plate. We may either leave the thumb wheel radio intact, and do a hidden audio setup, remove the radio and have jim make it smooth carbon fiber, or just cut and install an aftermarket single din stereo. Not there yet as we are still in the parts collecting phase of the project with a long way to go. So theres definitely several options in this area.

I have purchased some DMT stuff off ebay in the past. It always fit perfect. For Jim to be willing to make some of the stuff like the dash trim pieces modified to make a 1 off for somebody is really awesome. It shows his dedication to the hobby.

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Y'all

I just talked with Jim at DMT. I was discussing carbon fiber upper and lower inlays for rallye dashes with him. I have a 69 notch i am slowly collecting parts for it to restore with my son.

A repop dash is out of the question for price reasons. As we know the 69-71 rallye dash has the leftover in dash cigar lighter from the 68 models that didnt have an ashtray lighter.

I asked Jim when i was ready to order these pieces if the in dash cigar lighter hole in the trim can be omitted. He said no problem. I have a plastic epoxy filler that i can plug the hole in the dash plastic with.

Depending on what we do for a radio i may ask him to omit the radio holes too. Kinda like a modern blank off plate. We may either leave the thumb wheel radio intact, and do a hidden audio setup, remove the radio and have jim make it smooth carbon fiber, or just cut and install an aftermarket single din stereo. Not there yet as we are still in the parts collecting phase of the project with a long way to go. So theres definitely several options in this area.

I have purchased some DMT stuff off ebay in the past. It always fit perfect. For Jim to be willing to make some of the stuff like the dash trim pieces modified to make a 1 off for somebody is really awesome. It shows his dedication to the hobby.

Matt
prices ? wonder if he can make brushed alum. for a 68 fastback form S ?

I know he has these. I dont know what process is used to cut the parts out. Brushed aluminum would prob require laser cutting, or water jet. I think laser cutting would be more accurate. With brushed aluminum. Maybe jim has a material that has the look of brushed aluminum that he can cut on the equipment he has.

I dont know what he uses however my buddies nephew runs a sign and logo business one of the tools he has is like a drafting blueprint plotter, only instead of a pen it has a very sharp knife. The vinyl material is loaded onto the machine, and the computer program is run for what they are cutting out.

The computer runs the material back n forth clamped in the machine, and the cutter moves side to side. Either lifting or pushing down to cut. Its pretty neat to watch actually. If this is the equipment jim uses i'm not sure it can cut brushed aluminum.

All you can do is ask him.

Screenshot_2017-06-25-08-45-50.png

-
Back