DMV vs PLATES

-
Reaction score
Well I picked up a 70 340 4spd duster with personalized plates[blue/yellow]
and when I went to the dmv to transfer the title they told me the car was not in the system and that it would need to be inspected, so I said ..oooK, then they told me that even though the plate # have not been re assigned to anyone else I could not use the original blu/yellow plate that I have and that I would have to use the 'new' white/blu plates even though there the same #
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any Ideas/insight into this kinda thing???

in California if the plate is the right plate for the car it stay's with the car unless the plate is in bad shape. and needs replaced. i have a home in Ca and my truck there has a Black/yellow plate. the plate that has been on it for 40 years.

Yep in CA if the car is out of the system gotta get new plates =/ You can always get fakes and tell the officer you didnt know you couldnt use em lol do they even check??? anyone???

The fronts are legal to have reproductions.

Is there any paperwork on the car that has the plate number?

I know I've gotten black plate cars to keep the original plates as the title had the plate numbers on it. Same deal, DMV worker wanted to give me new plates.

There is a place in El Monte that is super good at DMV issues. I want to say Tony's or something like that.

340, do you have any paperwork (ie. an old registration card, old DMV paperwork, etc.) showing that those plates were once assigned to that particular car/VIN? If you do, there is a very good chance you can keep those plates assigned to it.

Update: Cracked, you're always once step ahead of me or perhaps you just type faster than me). ;)

I would find out if the original plate # was clear in the DMV. If it is you can request it as a new personal plate #. And when your new plates and tags show up put on the old Original State Approved plate with the new sticker. Police won't hassle you as you have a California Plate that matches what is on your reg as the paperwork doesn't state the color of plates.

If the plates are personalized then yes you have to turn them in. I got a car from my in-laws and the plates had the picture of a whale tail on them and I had to turn them in to the DMV. So if the are personalized you have to turn them in if the came with the car when it rolled off the lot new you can keep them. I have the blue and yellow plates on my 64 Ranchero but they came with the car when it was new and I'm in CA.

Basically the guy who owned the car passed away and the father & eldest son took responsibility/ownership, however they did not have or couldn't find the title as the son that passed, who well just say was a 'collector of things', hid misplaced or put somewhere safe [from anyone ever finding it so it seems].

So all I have is dmv transfer/title forms and a bill of sale, but I will check the glove box for an old registration paper.

I really do wanna just say f it and use the them anyways but I don't want the hassle and since the only reason for paying fees on these personal plates is I have the era correct, if I can't use'em f it I'd just get std issue.

This is really cool car that I can't wait to get on the road, it came with all kinds of extras = extra 340/trans 3 carbs sets of 12.5 & 10.5 pistons, mallory ditributors, intakes , headers , orig manifolds ,yada yada.
I'm stoked thats for sure.

-
Back