Do all 904's do this?

-

goldenmopar

Reaction score
Alright, i have a 904 trans in my Duster and had a question about the low gears. When i take it out of drive and drop it to first, it goes to first but it automatically shifts from 1st to 2nd then i throw it into drive. My trans is shifted from the floor, i don't know if that has anything to do with it. Are all 904's like this?

If I'm reading your description correctly, it probably isn't going into first but rather second, and it shifts automatically once it needs to. Could be your shifter linkage/cable is out of adjustment.

Mine will stay in first until I hit second.

No that sounds a little particular. Do you have the normal spread of first, second, drive, neutral, reverse, park out of curiosity? Generally if you have it manually in first or second and shift to drive it is going to change to whatever gear the trans thinks it should be in. For example, if you are punching off the line in first, shift second, then drive, shifting to drive will put it in third

Bad Sport is right, adjust your shifting linkage so it pusses the shifting arm at your trans location a bit farther, you will see this under the car next to your trans on the drivers side. move it a little at a time, does it not down shift on it's own when you floor it say doing 40 mph ?

Bad Sport is right, adjust your shifting linkage so it pusses the shifting arm at your trans location a bit farther, you will see this under the car next to your trans on the drivers side. move it a little at a time, does it not down shift on it's own when you floor it say doing 40 mph ?

Okay i'll check the linkage out and see, and at 40 it wouldn't downshift if i floored it

When you floor it make sure your kick down rod is pushing the lever all the way back.

-
Back