Do I have a Valiant or scamp

-

Gr8polarbear

Reaction score
Last year purchased a 1972 Valiant. It has been converted from a /6 to a 383 and been painted. It is a 2 dr hardtop. So other than the wheel base, which I have not measured yet, is there any way of telling if the car was originally a scamp?

Fender tag and or VIN number or build sheet if you have one.

aren't valiants all 4 door 70 and up?

Edit Base Model

Last edited:
Thought Duster took over the 2 door option, if it's the one in your thumb nail looks like it's built off a Dart so Scamp.

Fender tag and or VIN number or build sheet if you have one.
CodeDescription
E24225 1 Barrel 6 Cyllinder
D34TorqueFlite Automatic Transmission
VH23V = Plymouth Valiant / Duster
H = High
23 = 2 Door Hardtop
C2RC = 225 110HP(net) 1-1BBL 6 CYL
2 = 1972
R = Windsor, ONT, CAN
344264Sequence Number '344264'
GF3Paint Code: Medium Green Metallic
E2F6Trim Grade/Style/Color
E = Economy
2 = Vinyl Bench
F6 = Green
GF7Upper Door Frame: Dark Green Metallic
617Date Built: 6 / 17 / 1972
112478Order Number: 112478
V1FRoof Type OR Color: Full Vinyl Top - Green
UBuilt to Specifications for USA Order
22Radiator Diameter 22" WIDTH
C12Shoulder Belts
F1150 Amp
H51Single Air /w Heater
M21Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M26Wheel Lip Molding
R11Music Master Radio AM
V5XBlack - Mouldings - Protective Insert Body Side
ENDEnd of Codes

Says nothing about a scamp. Will have to get vin and run it when I get time I guess.

It's technically both. Valiant Scamp just like Valiant Duster is just a branch off the Valiant line of economy car's. I'm sure someone with vast more knowledge on the subject will chime in and give us the correct information on the subject!

It's technically both. Valiant Scamp just like Valiant Duster is just a branch off the Valiant line of economy car's. I'm sure someone with vast more knowledge on the subject will chime in and give us the correct information on the subject!
The Scamp is a trim package on a Valiant. What you said is like saying all 70 and up Darts are Swingers, which isn't true.

The Scamp is a trim package on a Valiant. What you said is like saying all 70 and up Darts are Swingers, which isn't true.
Agreed.... IDB all Dart Swingers would have badges or emblems. Would this not be true of Scamps as well? or are there exceptions??

You ever see a 71-76 2 door valiant that wasn't a Scamp or Duster? I haven't...I'll happily stand corrected though.

OP:

"Do I have a Valiant or scamp"

Yes...a Scamp IS a Valiant...like a Swinger is a Dart

From Wiki: "in 1970...The two-door sedan was dropped, replaced by the new Duster coupe ", "Beginning in 1971, a badge-engineered version of the 111 in (2,800 mm) wheelbase Dodge Dart Swinger called the "Valiant Scamp" was offered. This used the Dart Swinger two-door hardtop body shell with Valiant front sheet metal and dual taillamps carried over from the 1970 Dodge Dart."

Your VIN is contained, but broken up on your tag

VH23C2R344264

both My brothers' and my 72 Scamp(s) start with VH23 as well...

I’ve ran fender tag number codes on a ‘71 slant six scamp before, and the only identifiers on the code were that it had deluxe interior (which was western style scrolling in the seat and door trim like in a sport satellite) and a code for an odd sticker in front of the door on the fenders. That was the code for the Scamp stickers that were still on the car. You more than likely have a 2 door valiant.

Last edited:
Thanks, Like I said someone with more knowledge would chime in! Can always count on RRR for great info
Well you're correct saying a Scamp is a Valiant, just not the other way around. Valiant is the base. Scamp is a higher level trim package. Man, how I wish they'd made a factory 340 Scamp, but they didn't want a grandma "Valiant" based car as a performance image. It wouldda been so cool!

This one seems to indicate a "high" level trim, which might mean Scamp. Without more information like say a build sheet, I don't know how to further tell.

73-76 Valiant Brougham is not a Scamp.

They were available as a 2 door.

Shouldn't a Scamp have a "Scamp" emblem?

1970 up Valiants are 4-doors except the 73-76 Valiant Brougham . 1970 Duster only had the Valiant emblems on the fenders.
The Scamp is a model, not a trim package, that started in 1971 and all are 2-door h/t.
And yes, Not all Darts are Swingers.

Are the 73-76 Valiant Brougham still based on Dart body ?

73-76 Valiant Brougham is not a Scamp.

They were available as a 2 door.

Shouldn't a Scamp have a "Scamp" emblem?
Yes, the early ones had emblems, but the 73 and up I think it was had decals.

I don't think it was a trim level. It was a 2 door hard top Valiant under the Plymouth name. Has anyone ever seen a 4 door Scamp?

aren't valiants all 4 door 70 and up?
A yes and no answer. Like saying a Coronet Super Bee. Not all Coronets were Super Bee's. Till 1971 when they became a Charger Super Bee. It's all in the wording.

I don't think it was a trim level. It was a 2 door hard top Valiant under the Plymouth name. Has anyone ever seen a 4 door Scamp?
It was a trim level. Just like a Swinger.

-
Back