Do I have a Valiant or scamp

-
The Bro Hams were some pretty nice cars.

I'm a big fan of "Old Cars Price Guide" (and it's equivalent current web site) but it's notorious for some model description and engine option errors.

Best used in conjunction with accumulated Mopar (or any brand) specific knowledge.

318/904/7.25, power disc brakes, p/s, non-a/c. Nothing special.
Maybe nothing special, but I like it.
I was just curious because I have a 74 Scamp with same light blue color. Mine was also a 318/904/7.25 with power disc brakes and power steering, but it did have A/C. I foolishly gave away the engine and transmission to make room for an engine swap but got side tracked and it has been sitting for 20 years. In hindsight I should have kept it running and enjoyed driving it for a while before taking it apart. One of these days I will get back to it.

Thanks for sharing the details.

On a side note, I remember when I bought my 74 Scamp and transferred the title here in Michigan to my name, the Michigan Secretary of State computer system did not know what a Scamp was. They could only list it as the Valiant model with Scamp as a trim level, but that has nothing to do with how Plymouth actually built them and intended them to be marketed.

Like the rims on Your garage pic, where did they come from? Also, I took a set of beige, and a set of green seat sets out of either Dart Special Editions or Vali Broughams, but left a maroon set like Yours there in the yard around '85-'86. Buckets, armrest, & rear seat in nice shape.......dammit, probably got crushed, .......
Killer6,
Thanks, 15" Alum wheels off a late 70's or early 80's Dodge Diplomat I was told. I bought my car from a guy that owned a junk yard around Stillwater? PA. almost 7 years ago. The interior in my car is pretty mint, the rest is getting restored. I'll be selling the wheels at some point, only 1 center cap that is in lousy shape.

My 72' Scamp had both the Valiant emblem and Scamp decals when I got it from the original owner. I think 73' may have been the first year they went with a Scamp-only side emblem
We'll, let's see now. My '72 Scamp only has the metal emblem on the driver's side front fender. I also have another metal emblem where the studs on the back are 3/16" wider than the fender holes on my Scamp. So, that makes two different emblems at least, most likely for two different years. And yes, my Scamp was bought from the original owner also. The plot thickens. :eek:

What is the build date on your car? Maybe they changed mid year? IDK :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of "Old Cars Price Guide" (and it's equivalent current web site) but it's notorious for some model description and engine option errors.

Best used in conjunction with accumulated Mopar (or any brand) specific knowledge.
Yeah, I'm only sharing what I've found, a couple of source materials show the same or similar odd list of models. May all be wonky afaik, I will be the 1st to tell You I am NOT a restoration-numbers matching-model variation/mutations expert.
They did assign a specific valuation for the odd model split that did not match the other, but, somebody with sales experience "in the day" would be the best consult.

We'll, let's see now. My '72 Scamp only has the metal emblem on the driver's side front fender. I also have another metal emblem where the studs on the back are 3/16" wider than the fender holes on my Scamp. So, that makes two different emblems at least, most likely for two different years. And yes, my Scamp was bought from the original owner also. The plot thickens. :eek:

Definitely interesting. My 72 was born in February. They may have switched that mid year.

Ma Mopar did some weird stuff.This is just a example.
67 Dodge Dart 1 owner, never wrecked when removing belt line moldings for a repaint driver side had screw on clips.
On the passenger side the clips were pin type .Not just on a door or fender but the full length of the car.
Mid assembly line change over ??

IMG_0179.jpg

My unmolested 66 Coronet has all sheet metal speed nuts on the trim on one side and all machined nuts with captive washers on the other side.

Guess it was what was in the trim nut bin on either side of the line that day.

Maybe when it gets a little warmer out I'll check the date. Lol
I just saw pictures of a '73 Scamp for sale and it had metal Scamp emblems on both sides. But I don't know anything about it's originality.
1973 Plymouth Scamp
It looks like mine was born
July 31, 1972. I think that would put it close to the end of the production year for '72. So maybe used what they had?:rolleyes:
IMG_20230107_110647.jpg

-
Back